Osteoarthritis

Options
Silvanaantoniuk65
Silvanaantoniuk65 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hello there, 👋

First Post, thank you for letting me join. I've had 3 hip replacements, 1 knee replacement, due to Osteoarthritis. I suffer a great deal in almost all joints, no one understands the pain unless they have it themselves. Recently involved in car accident, in which I suffer excruciating pain in hands. Physiotherapist said the force of the crash has basically pounded my hands and aggravated the arthritis.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hello @Silvanaantoniuk65 and welcome to the online community,

After 3 hip replacements, a knee replacement and a recent car accident affecting your hands, you are experiencing a great deal of pain in all your joints. You are right when you say that no one understands the pain unless they have it themselves. Well, you are among friends here in the community who are supportive and who also have experienced the pain of arthritis, so can understand what you're going through.

The Versus Arthritis website has some information on managing pain - I've linked to it below. It talks about how to look after yourself and suggests some self-help treatments. Equally important, it looks at how you can assess whether your medication and treatment is working. Perhaps you could go back to your GP and discuss alternative medications, or maybe ask for a referral to a pain clinic?

It sometimes helps to talk to someone who understands. Our helplines are open from 9am-6pm weekdays, and there's always someone there who can listen to y0u and give you personalised support. Here's their freephone number:

Do let us know how you're getting on, and remember that you're not alone.

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Silvanaantoniuk65
    Options

I have now been put on list for left knee replacement, my pre-op is 13th June, I've had one before so I know what to expect, I'm just concerned as my right hip is loose. I don't know if this will effect the recovery process, as my right leg will take a lot of the weight.