Pain in the … ask me where I don’t have pain.

Options
ClaireX
ClaireX Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

First grating pain in my shoulder as a 13/14 yr old, too much wear and tear from daily swimming apparently. Lower back pain 18yr old. Meds, meds and meds. At 24 collapsed, muscle spasm apparently. Never recovered fully, able to stand and walk after around 10days but in agony. At 26 finally xrayed and diagnosed. 2 missing discs lower back, bones eroded and bone spurs. Knees looked at at same examination. R knee osteoarthritis usually seen in 80yr old. Meds, traction, acupuncture, heat lamp. Fast forward 30 years. Hip arthritis, upper spine to ribs both diagnosed. Now neck, shoulder, ankle, wrist elbow and finger pains. Ask gp can I get X-ray? No it’s fibromyalgia?? Because, I don’t sleep well I’m tired daily and I hurt “all over”!! Had to stop anti inflammatory meds they’ve damaged my insides. Have just been taken off codeine as it can be addictive. So, paracetamol x2 every 4hrs. It’s a joke. I have cried with the pain. I’ve had adaptions made to help to do daily things and have an adjustable bed. I’m too young for any joint replacements and apparently they would be no point in having any as lots of joints are affected. Steroid injections didn’t work. There have been days when I thought I couldn’t bear the pain any longer. My only relief is a hot water bottle and a tens machine. I’m 56! Is this it?

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @ClaireX - welcome to the online community!

I see you have had painful joint issues for over 30 years, and you've been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis. You've tried lots of different things and you're not feeling like you have a solution or help for what you're experiencing.

Living with a chronic condition can be incredibly hard, especially when those around you don't seem to understand or appreciate what you're feeling and doing. I can only express my sympathies and a slight sense of amazement at all you have dealt with. I'm sure you've tried a lot, maybe asking to see a different doctor would provide some change?

I think the best thing I can do for you is to listen. Sometimes having someone to listen and hear what you've said is the best. I can see everything you've gone through, and I am slightly in shock. I wish I could help you more. You may get some help by contacting our helplines team - they're there for you and have a lot of experience in helping people in similar positions to yourself.

I've found some other links which may help you:

Please do come back and share. We have all got some experience of arthritis and understand that sometimes have a good vent is what is needed.

Lovely to meet you!

Shell

• ClaireX
    ClaireX Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thank you Shell, over the years I've spoken to lots of doctors, physios, consultants etc. Have to admit, the last one left me dumbstruck. I will be looking for another opinion. His parting words were you should speak to someone about your mental health as you are very upset... Hmmmm. I guess doctors are just around these days to ask if you smoke or drink alcohol, they can give you advice on dealing with those. I don't drink or smoke so not worth bothering with.