Medication

Hi I’m 55 and diagnosed last September, I was put on prednisone which I’m still taking and that bothers me as I know it’s not good long term. I was put on hydoxychlorquine which I had a rare severe allergic reaction to and was in hospital for a week being treated like a burns patient. Now recovered from the reaction and I’m now taking methotrexate. I’ve been in them for 10 weeks and haven’t really seen any improvement yet?? When will I see or feel any change. My knees, feet and ankles are my worst joints. I used to run 10k weekly and I’m struggling with exercise and my general mental health. I just want it to Go Away!! 😢

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522

Good morning, @Jackie34 and welcome to the forum.

I see that you were given a diagnosis of RA in September last year. You are concerned at the long-term use of prednisolone. You reacted badly to hydroxychloroquine and are now taking methotrexate but are yet to see any improvement.

None of the medications are quick. I have recently changed and have been told it could be three months.

Here are some links to information on our website that I hope you will find helpful:

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Tom, Moderator,

• Jackie34
    Jackie34 Member Posts: 3

Thank you. I will take a look at these. Had my appointment today and we are going to try the injection to see if I see any improvement.

• Sandgrownen
    Sandgrownen Member Posts: 17

Hi Jackie34

Glad you have recovered from you severe reaction. That must have been a nightmare.

I having a gastro reaction to methotrexate I have been on metoject for the last 8 weeks and have started to see/feel changes in my mobility with my knees and feet. This also has an effect on mental health. Hopefully things will keep improving. However, I am told it usually will take 3 months before seeing a improvement.

Are you still on oral prednisolone?

I came off these and was offered a depot injection. This can last 2 weeks and will help out with your mental health. I takes time and there is no quick fix unfortunately. Hope this helps. Good luck.