Do you have difficulty putting on your socks yourself?

Options

The other week I was over the moon because I ordered a gadget, from the Internet, which enabled me to put my own socks on, for the first time 36 years! (Mr Legs did a little happy dance too.) You might feel this is a small achievement but when we have an argument, my socks become a bone of contention, as when we’re really angry with one each other I’m not going to ask for my socks to be put on and he is certainly not going to offer! (It’s not so bad in summer but, by golly, in winter each toe becomes a separate ice cube!)  

Before my sock gadget arrived, I watched people on You Tube demonstrate it and was a little bit worried I might not be able to use it because they could all flex their ankles and point their toes but for Flat-Foot-Fanny-Anne here that’s an impossibility! For a tenner, though, I decided it was worth me having a go. The joy when it arrived and, after a struggle, I got my socks on myself, knew no bounds, in fact I was so thrilled I took them off and put them on again just because I could! After daily use I can now do it with relative ease.

I have tried another sort in the past but I don’t have the grip nor reach to use it but as this is a hard plastic frame, I just put the sock on the frame, drop the frame on the floor then feed my foot into it following the direction my ankle/toe joints need. I don’t use the handle as I don’t need it so I’ve given it to my mini-mother-in-law who uses it to reach things in cupboards!  Anyway I’ve put a picture below and it’s called a Sock Slider!

Love, Legs xx

Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• Thank you for sharing this @lindalegs, I'm sure plenty of other people here will find something like this useful too! At least you can argue as much as you like without having to consider your cold little toes too!

Sarah

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    edited 1. Apr 2022, 06:07
    Options

Oh Legs! (@lindalegs ) That is fabulous😊

I'm so pleased for you.

How funny was your tale about when you and Mr Legs fall out and neither of you will budge to get your socks on. Now you can argue to your hearts' content 🤭

Those wee tootsies will be cosy come rain or shine😁

Good to see you experience helping a new member with her MCP joints too.

Take care

Toni xx

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

Hello😃 Legs,

Lovely to see you. I finally found a sock aid that works for me as long as I'm next to a wall or cabinet to shove it against. It has a strong ropey thing that I can wind round my palms several times not the usual thin tape.

i don't think yours'd work for me as my ankles have fused themselves so they are at right angles to my legs. Well, the left one is. The right one, being of an independent nature, has swung itself round to the right. However, we use whatever works for us. Including, when absolutely vital, husbands. Though I think a sock aid is a much cheaper option all things considered.

xx

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options

Hi Sarah (@SarahS ), Toni (@frogmorton) and Sticky (@stickywicket )

We are now arguing to our heart's content and my feet stay snug and warm! 🤣

Sticky, I too, have to have a wall or chair leg to push against and my ankles are also at right angles plus I have a couple of toes trying to point upwards but, as you, have found a way for me to use it in a non-conventional way.

I also use a dress stick for getting garments over my head but I have to do it my way and not as the able-bodied demonstrate on You Tube!

It's a good job we're rebels at heart!

Love, Legs xx

Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    Options

"my ankles are also at right angles plus I have a couple of toes trying to point upwards "

Oh *******! And there was I going for unique! Now I shall have to re-think and re-shape😉

Yes, I fling things over my head too. Not always successfully, but enough. Independence is best. My beloved MrSW, on the rare occasions when he's had to put my knickers on (on me, not on himself, you understand) has usually managed back to front, or sideways on with half of them up my b*m crack. Not the best look. Or the most comfortable.

Carry on rebelling!

Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options

(@stickywicket) Well done Mr SW! I don't think Mr Legs can compete with that!

We've said in the past you and I are rheumatoid twins ....so should you reshape I'll only copy you!

Lots of love xx

Love, Legs x
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

That gadget looks better than the things I have to put my socks on, mine has tapes so I put my socks on the end then fling them over my foot. I also have a dressing stick and only put clothes on over my head as I can't do buttons up. I buy trousers several sizes too big so I don't have buttons or zips to worry about and use braces to keep them up. An extra long shoe horn is also an essential bit of kit. I have also fitted very strong crocodile clips to a door frame so they can hold the shoulders of coats, jackets and jumpers to put on and then I can use the clips on each cuff to pull them off.

• lindalegs
    Options

Some great suggestions there Mike (@Mike1)

I use my dress stick like that too but I balance it on a chair or bed first as I haven't the power in my arms to push a garment over. It's a great sense of achievement when we struggle with getting dressed to actually manage it unaided! Though I always end up with twisted sleeves and I can't pull collars through but hey-ho we get there in the end!

Luv, Legs xx

Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    Options

Just in case it's useful to anyone, I don't use a dressing stick. I use a long-handled shoe horn with a back scratcher on the other end. I scrunch tops up onto the 'hand' / backscratcher bit then throw them over my head. (Attempting not to get too enthusiastic so that they go right over my head and land on Mr SW's face as he slumbers.) It means one 'aid' works for both that and for getting shoes on and tops and socks off. (The top of my bedside cabinet is already full of pills, water, inhalers, sock aid, E45, padded stick for applying latter etc.) Here's a link though I've learned the hard way to buy the more expensive wooden ones as they last longer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-One-Scratcher-Funky-Colours/dp/B00APHCLJG/ref=sr_1_23?crid=3AMVVN45O02WS&keywords=extended+handle+shoe+horn+with+back+scratcher&qid=1648896152&sprefix=extended+handle+shoe+horn+with+back+scratcher%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-23

(Plenty of other stores are available)

Steven Wright