Feet and my wedding!

Options

Hi there, I have pretty severe arthritis in my feet. One is very advanced and has minimal mobility left and is the source of quite a bit of pain. I am very limited in the type of footwear I can wear without it being excruciating. The other is at the start so is manageable. I’m getting married later this year and just for one hour I would like to wear some nice shoes (I have sensible, albeit very sparkly, trainers for after the ceremony!). Can anybody recommend any topical treatment that would alleviate the pain so that I can get through the ceremony? I am seeing my consultant next week and will discuss with him but wanted to investigate here first - either to aid my discussion with the dr or to give me any alternatives etc. Thank you in advance for any input.

Comments

• Hi @KT_kipper

Congratulations on your wedding! I completely understand this- I got married in a pair of glittery purple Docs! Have you ever tried Voltarol as a topical? It can be expensive for a cream depending on where you get it from but it's good and generally well recommended. I think you've done the right thing in getting your comfy (and very sparkly) shoes for after the ceremony, the last thing you want is to not enjoy your day as much because of the amount of pain you're in!

There are some other tips for foot pain in the link below, however I don't think many of them will be particularly useful for your wedding day (perhaps the run up and the recovery day afterwards following your partying):

I do hope you manage to find something that will work for you, and that you have an amazing wedding day! Keep us up to date and show us pictures of your special day!

Sarah

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Hi @KT_kipper

My eldest married in january this year her and her wife both in white docs underneath their dresses!

Having said that why shouldn't you wear some pretty shoes just for an hour it's your wedding day. I would go for an anti-inflammatory gel too like Sarah suggested and 'wearing them in' at home first of course else you might also have blisters to contend with.

Anyway many congratulations to you 😊

Toni x

• KT_kipper
    KT_kipper Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you both for your comments and congratulations. I always said to my mum I would be wearing docs to my wedding! Things are a bit different to what I expected and so that’s not really an option now, but did make me laugh as I had forgotten I use to say that!! I am experimenting with voltarol to see how much benefit I get and how long it takes to kick in etc - optimal application time prior to putting shoes on 😂 But it isn’t helping as much as I hoped and I’m struggling more and more with my foot. I’m wonderfully stubborn so I’ll get down that aisle one way or another. My bridesmaids have discussed customising the shoes with wheels! Thanks again for your replies.

Katie

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

I understand your desire to wear something really special but how about going entirely the other way and wear brightly decorated welly boots and get your other half to do the same too, it would raise a titter and make it a memorable day!! Hope you solve the problem and have a great day whatever.

• Robertoduran_1
    Options

I have recently discovered I have had gout and bunions which are arthritic. Quite gutted and have to put my shoes on ebay as well as give up certain sports at 54 which I really enjoyed - I know there are people out there that have got it worse. I have discovered some good fashionable shoes :XSENSIBLE, JOYA to name a few. They are fashionable and do a range for men and women. Hope this helps anyone look for decent shoes which you can go out in including to weddings.

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 681
    Options

Hi @Robertoduran_1 and welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

I see from your first post that you suffer with arthritic gout and bunions.

Here are a couple of links to our website which you may find of interest:

I hope that you find joining the forum of benefit.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Robertoduran_1
    Options

I have recently discovered I have had gout and bunions which are arthritic. Quite gutted and have to put my shoes on ebay as well as give up certain sports at 54 which I really enjoyed - I know there are people out there that have got it worse. I have discovered some good fashionable shoes :XSENSIBLE, JOYA to name a few. They are fashionable and do a range for men and women. Hope this helps anyone look for decent shoes which you can go out in including to weddings.

• Robertoduran_1
    Options

Thanks Chris - Started Allupurinol 2 months ago. Things have improved somewhat. Got to mange the OA now and I am sure the forum will help. Cheers