Wanted to say hi

Options
3538SKSA
3538SKSA Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi all thanks for accepting me.

Do any of you have any pointers for filling out PIP review? In 2017 was diagnosed with a degenerative spine and osteoarthritis - in 2018 had an assessment by Capita but it was marked up as 'although walks with a stick there was only a slight gait'. It has got progressive over the 3 years since and wondered what you put on form to get point across. Thanks in advance Maggie

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @3538SKSA - welcome to the online community!

I see that you've been diagnosed with degenerative spine and Osteoarthritis, and you're wondering if anyone has any advice on getting PIP and filling out the form for it.

I have actually successfully gained PIP myself, and I do have some information which may be helpful. Firstly, answer it honestly but from the point of view of your worst days. Don't use an "average day", use your worst day. Also, please do not forget to take into account and document the mental toll it can take on you - this is just as relevant as the physical. Be prepared to be denied at first, and ask for a review and then appeal. Almost everyone I know who successfully got PIP got it on review or appeal, not in the first consideration. I'd also make sure you take a photo or other copy of the form before you send it off, so you can remember what you said a couple of months later when you have your review.

There are some really useful links about the form I've put below. I've also linked to a previous discussion which might help:

This link is from a more mental health perspective, but it has a wealth of information on the PIP form, and as someone with a physical condition it is easy to forget about the mental health aspect. This can help remind you as well.

Citizen's Advice have a huge amount of information, and if you need the extra help making an appointment and going in to talk to them is never a bad idea:

There are a couple of other discussions on PIP on the community, do have a search for them. This is a very good comment raising useful points here:

I'd add that it's never bad to take up more space than the form allows - so long as you're being relevant, do continue onto a spare piece of paper and use that. Also send in any supporting paperwork or anything you have from the doctors as it really helps. If you can ask your GP to write a letter supporting it and send that to you, then you can include it in with your application - your GP may charge for this, and be aware you have a time limit to send back your form, so it may be impractical, but more evidence is generally good.

When you have your assessment you can request (when you first get your letter talking about an assessment call them up and request then, not just before the assessment) to have your assessment recorded. This means it will take a lot longer to get your assessment appointment (because they are really old fashioned in their recording software and only allow a few assessors to do a recorded session) but it means you know that they cannot twist what you've said without you being able to challenge them. Also, in the assessment and any subsequent interviews please DO be emotional. It helps. Don't try to be strong.

Apologies for the long reply! Good luck and it's lovely to meet you!

Shell

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,658
    Options

Hi @3538SKSA

I just wanted to wish you all the best my main tips after @Shell_H 's excellent advise is to photocopy your form when it's completed so you know exactly what you put if you have a face to face or telephone assessment and when it needs filling in again for reviews in future.

Remember to think of your worst days not your best too!

Let us know how it goes won't you?

Toni x