Knee Swelling.

Options

Hi, have severe osteoarthritis of the right knee for a while. I can manage ok but the swelling of the knee is making life tricky. It was drained 8 weeks ago for steroid injection which worked well for a while but now pain and swelling has returned. Any tips or tricks for reducing the swelling? Thanks for reading.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi @2stroke

Lovely to hear from you! Sorry to hear that your knee is causing you problems again! Have you have your steroid injection yet or are you waiting for this still? Here is a link to some of our tips for knee pain- but it might not all be relevant to your swelling:

A little time with a cool flannel or gel pack on the swollen area might be helpful, but don't sit there for too long and you may need to keep alternating.

I do hope that this is useful for you and you manage to get a little relief!

Sarah

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

It's pinches doesn't it when it's swollen @2stroke ?

Are they considering surgery for you in the longer run? Have you let 'them' know the injection was great short term?

Are you on any anti-inflammatories I wonder to reduce inflammation that was what i was thinking like ibuprofen naproxen etc.....

When I have swelling I usually elevate the area and ice it a bit, but I don't think it will go permanently until the problem is solved.

Take care

Toni xx

• 2stroke
    2stroke Member Posts: 5
    Options

@frogmorton too young for surgery. Got arthritis in the hip on the same leg so double whammy. Tried ibuprofen but doesn't work really. Will try the ice and elevation.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Too young oh dear @2stroke . the hip won't be helping the knee it seems to work that way from what others have said here when their hip is bad.

You must keep talking to your Drs I don't know how young you are, but sometimes they will make an exception with the age thing. My own daughter had a new shoulder joint at 19 for example and I'm sure @stickywicket was a whippersnapper when she had some of her surgeries too. I'm sure there was a chap here said about his knee which he had replaced at 36 (might have been his hip though) only last week sorry I can't find it it was a man that's all I can remember.

What I mean is it can happen, but you must eliminate any other obstacles like smoking, weight etc Of course revisions (future surgeries) on knees are harder to do than on hips same with shoulders, but it can be done.

I am worried to death as you can imagine about my daughter and how many times she might need surgery again, but she had absolutely no quality of life bless her so she, we and the Drs went ahead. Now she has full range of movement and works full time.

Sending you my best wishes

Toni xx

• 2stroke
    2stroke Member Posts: 5
    Options

Thanks for the kind comments @frogmorton . Too young is 59 in my case ( nice to be called young). The hip doesn't really bother me as much as the knee. I'll have a go at reducing the swelling and pester the docs. It doesn't stop me working and I'm content to soldier on.

• MissA
    MissA Member Posts: 55
    Options

I am sorry you are suffering. I am 54 & have Rheumatoid Arthritis & osteoarthritis in knees. I had bad swelling on knees & had to have them drained & regular steroid jabs which gave welcome relief but was never the real solution.

I eventually had MRI scan & was referred to orthopaedic surgeon who recommended total knee replacement, which I didn’t expect, thinking I too would be considered too young. I am 54 & have been told surgery will be this year, am just waiting for a date to go in. I would suggest you keep going back to doctors to seek further advice.

I hope you get things sorted & stay pain free.

• MissA
    MissA Member Posts: 55
    Options