Total knee replacement when young and fit

Options
LimpNoLonger
LimpNoLonger Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

I am 58 and had a right total knee replacement 3 weeks ago. I had struggled for 10 years with an uneven gait and pain in my right knee. Despite my condition I regularly went to the gym and cycled everywhere. 2 years ago I reached tipping point and requested surgery, then covid hit.

Finally had surgery on 23rd March. The result was miraculous within days I realised I could walk with no pain and no limp.

I have completed the exercises daily (the ones in my booklet are very generic and suited for the elderly so I have made them more taxing e.g holding positions for 20 seconds not 5).

I now have good range of movement 120° and can walk 2 miles in 45 minutes - no crutches - same walk took 90 minutes pre op.

Just getting frustrated as not seen a physiotherapist since I was in hospital to get more advice on what I can do and I desperately want to drive!! I am perfectly capable but need to be signed off as fit and safe.

Do other young TKR patients have same experiences?

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    edited 19. Apr 2022, 12:08
    Options

Hello @LimpNoLonger

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

So you have osteoarthritis and 3 weeks ago you had a total knee replacement on your right knee. You feel like the results have been miraculous and within days you could walk with no pain and no limp. You have completed the daily exercises without fail and now have a good range of movement. However you feel frustrated as you have not seen a physiotherapist since you were in hospital to get more advise and you are desperate to get back to driving. You are wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation.

Congratulations on your knee replacement and well done for all your hard work on your recovery! My experience of a TKR is very similar to you. I dont think I saw a physio after leaving hospital either and I definitely didn't start driving until the 6 week mark and I think that was also when I saw the consultant for my post op consult. I was very much left to my own devices so I would be interested to see what other peoples experiences are as well. I have always thought that they rely on the GP for the majority of the aftercare but it may depend on the area that you live in. I'm sure you will get a lot of comments from fellow members though about what there experience has been.

In the meantime I've found the following information for you and have attached it below. I hope it is of some use to you.

I would recommend reading from the recovery section and onwards since this is the most relevant to you.

Once again, congratulations on your new knee and please do let us know how you are getting on.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)