Bridging medication

Options
Cavan
Cavan Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

I was diagnosed with RA is February but have had symptoms for at least a year - probably longer. I was given a steroid jab which relieved most symptoms and then had to wait for chest X-ray and liver blood test. A month later my symptoms returned with a vengeance. Methotrexate arrived a few days ago and I will start on Monday. My GP has agreed to another steroid jab in a week’s time but in the meantime I am in a lot of discomfort. When will things start to improve? Will I need another steroid jab in a month’s time or will the Methotrexate take over by then?

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @Cavan

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

So you were diagnosed in February with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) but have had symptoms for a least a year, if not longer. You were given a steroid injection while the doctor was waiting for your chest x-ray and liver function blood tests to come back. You are due to start Methotrexate on Monday but have found that since you have had to wait a while for this to all get set up you are in need of another, which the GP has agreed to, in order to alleviate some of the pain while you wait for the methotrexate to start working. You are wondering how long this will take, when will things start to improve and will you need to have another steroid injection in a months time if the methotrexate has not worked by then.

Well, first of all, welcome to the RA club! I myself am a fully joined up member and can remember when I was first put on methotrexate so can truly empathise with what you are going through at the moment. Unfortunately there is no way for me to tell you how long it will take for it to work but it does sound like you have a pretty understanding GP who is looking out for you. Im sure if you are still experiencing as much pain as you are now, in a months time the doctor will be able to do something for you. With regards to the methotrexate it can sometimes take a little while to get the dose right so that you get the full effect but once it is, it should make such a difference to your life. I have to say that I was taken off it for other medical reasons but would jump at the chance to go back on it if I was given the option. Unfortunately in the world of arthritis we can spend quite a bit of time having to be patient but it does tend to be worth it.

Ive included some information below that I think you will find useful. It is from the main Versus Arthritis website so you may have seen it already but it really is a informative read so I would recommend them.

Please do let us know how you are getting on and do keep getting involved in the community as we are always looking to make new friends

Take care

Anne (Moderator)