Hi - newbie here

Options
jo947
jo947 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi all!

I'm new to this community and really wanted to join because I'm keen to find out how you deal with pain and emotions and relationships!

I've been on my arthritis journey for a couple of years now - I've got Psoriatic arhtitis which started with a swollen and painful right knee but has now moved into my elbows, wrists, thumbs, other knee, and one ankle.

I have very little movement in my right knee which is stuck in a bent position making walking any distance difficult. I've tried a few treatments, methotrexate, Leflunomide and I've now been on Imraldi injections since January but nothing so far is helping.

By far the worst thing about all of this is that I miss my life - I used to live life to the max. I was in the gym every morning doing Cross Fit, went to festivals and gigs, was slim, healthy and fun. I feel like I've completely lost a purpose in life. My husband is lovely but acts like I'm made of glass and all anyone else speaks to me about is my knee. I feel I have nothing to contribute to conversations because I don't do anything interesting.

So I guess I'd like to know what do you do to stay active, or what hobbies you can still enjoy and how do you stop arthritis taking over your whole life!

JO😀

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    edited 25. Apr 2022, 15:06
    Options

Hi @jo947 and welcome to the online community,

You've been on your arthritis journey for two years and it's affecting many of your joints, including your knee which makes walking difficult. Understandably you miss your old life, which certainly sounds full on. So you've come here to find out from others about life, emotions, relationships and everything else. Well you've certainly come to the right place! Our members are all friendly, and keen to share their experiences of living with arthritis.

Before you have a browse through the forums, you might like to take a look at some of the Versus Arthritis webpages. I've linked you to a couple - the first about how we can deal with the emotional challenges that we face, and the second is a personal story about Katrina, who is learning to live and keep active with her condition:

Do have a read of the forums in our community. Living with arthritis has lots of stories of how members - all with arthritis - are getting on, and Let's Move has discussions about keeping fit and active.

Best wishes,

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153
    Options

Hi. Welcome to the community.

I find weight bearing exercise, particularly during a flare up, hard.

I do a mixture of swimming (which generally is fine); I did buy a pedometer and try to do about 5000 steps a day (though not always); and I keep up some exercises I was taught by a physio.

I still love spirt, but am largely a spectator these days. I also love gigs (which I still go to, alongside cinema, theatre etc) though I don't go to many festivals these days. If I do, they are local fests that mean I can get home overnight. I also looked up on line interest groups ( some who do meet locally), so I do have a social life. I'm sure you will too.

Sheelee

• jo947
    jo947 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you Sheelee.

I could give swimming a try - I'm just not a great fan of it but I guess it may actually help. I did look at aquafit but all of the classes are in the day time so I can't get to them, maybe I need to look at ones a bit further away.

I've enquired about a choir today as I figured I can sit and sing :) and have also booked a session with a nutritionist to help me with my diet choices with a view to reducing inflammation and shift some of this excess weight!

I really need to get my mojo back somehow but I guess it won't happen overnight and I have to accept that somedays will be easier than others.