Don’t know if I’m going mad or something

Options

I’ve noticed over the past few months I’m changing in myself I use to be independent and could go out shopping on my own or even just nipping out looking in clothes shops on my own. Now I just don’t want to go any where on my own and if I do I’m very panicky and need to get home. I just feel scared on my own since being Diagnosed with RA I’m not as active like I use to be going up stairs is a struggle now I have to walk down stairs side ways or backwards just makes it easier for me. Getting in the bath isn’t good either I really struggling can’t just sit down in bath like I use to do and getting out Is hard I have to ask my partner to help me. I just feel like why has this happened to me I’m only 48 and I’m on the sick from work I’m not able to do that it’s to physical for me. My family don’t seem to understand me and I’ve been told just to get on with it not easy has that I’m just finding things hard at the moment. Need to pull myself together

clare

Comments

• Steveg
    Steveg Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi Clare,

It might be worth discussing your medication with the RA Clinic? I know my dosage was too low initially and didn't have much effect And some days are worse than others.

I have been back to the clinic and they are suggesting steroid injections and possible change of meds. Might work / help but worth a try. (I am 48 in July too if it's any consolation) my dad has RA and is really bad with his hands /feet and shoulders (where mine is predominantly) so determined to try and do something before I get to that state.

Equally something like tai chi might be useful, gentle exercise on the joints. Something I am going to be starting again soon.

Steve

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406
    Options

Hi @clare73 ,

Your not going mad honestly I was the same still am not back to where I used to be I honestly most of the time think I’m doing everything wrong my confidence has taken a real knock the slightest noise and I jump yet I was confident and very outgoing but all I can say is it’s no use people saying pull yourself together it never works I’ve accepted I’m limited and accepted I’m not very mobile but I’m still the same person as are you

take care

Jona 💐😊

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 182
    Options

Hi clare73

You are not going mad. Having been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my right knee, I initially felt a loss of confidence in going out on my own. My right knee would give way without any warning and made me feel vulnerable to falls. Fast forward a year, it has taken me this time to come to terms with my condition and try to find ways to make things easier for myself. I pace myself in doing daily tasks like housework and time myself when doing light tasks in the garden. I also got a gardener in to dig my 4 vegetable beds as I could not physically do it anymore. Also, I started finding it hard to get in and out of the bath, so I bought one of those bath steps which are a great help.

I have been given physio exercises to do which help, but need to do them continuously to feel any benefits. At first I don't think my husband understood how much this affects you physically and mentally, but now I ask him to help me with certain jobs.

I have found this website very helpful and know that I am not alone with my condition.

Take care and be kind to yourself.🙂

• clare73
    clare73 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Thank you @Steveg for your comment on my post I really appreciate the feedback im speaking to my doctor on the 11th of may hopefully can start on my medication I’ve had 2 steroids injection one in January in my left knee and that lasted for a few weeks but when it wore off I felt I been hit by a bus the pain was bad. Had another one 2 weeks ago now but in my bum I’m still feeling pain all over especially in my hands.hopefully I can get sorted.

thanks again 🙂

• clare73
    Options

Thank you @Jona for your comment really appreciate it and your right I am the same person I just need to be kinder to myself

many thanks clare 🙂

• clare73
    Options

Thank you @Fran54 for your comment really appreciate it. Yes this website is very good and meeting and talking to people who are in the same boat as me

you take care too 🙂