Osteo of knee, but maybe hip.

Options
SueA
SueA Member Posts: 15
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Have osteo of right knee. Have had 2 injection in last 6 months. Saw osteopath a few time, now physio who tells me hip is causing the knee pain! I am seeing an orthopaedic surgeon tomorrow, but just feel all he will suggest is new knee. Am trying different painkillers, nothing strong enough. Feeling that I am becoming more inflexible and starting to despair. Can’t drive at moment and can’t walk a distance, so worse than a year ago. My hubby is on chemo treatment so I really need some help and advice as I need to be able to move!

Comments

• janey4
    janey4 Administrator Posts: 45
    Options

Hello @SueA. Welcome to the Online Community and thanks for joining. It’s lovely to meet you. I understand you have osteoarthritis in your right knee and have had injections, seen an osteopath a few times and tried different painkillers, but nothing is strong enough. The physio is probably referring to the fact that Osteoarthritis in the knee can change the way you walk or carry your weight, and this could cause you to develop the condition in other joints, such as your hips. This is sometimes known as referred pain and can also happen if you have osteoarthritis in the hips, which can then also affect the knees. You may find it helpful to ask your GP to prescribe you capsaicin cream.  If used regularly, this can be a well-tolerated pain reliever for osteoarthritis in the knees. Speaking to an Occupational Therapist may also be helpful for you. They can advise on mobility and may be able to offer advice around things to help you manage in the home and on a daily basis. You can ask to speak to one by calling your local council and asking for the Adult Social Care department. 

·        Capsaicin | Uses, side-effects | Versus Arthritis

·        Occupational therapist (OT) | Practical support | Versus Arthritis

Have a look at Living with arthritis. We have posts from many members who live with arthritis and share your concerns and I'm sure you will be able to find some answers for your situation or start a new discussion to ask your question!  

Take care

Jane

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• SueA
    Options

I have been to see Consultant today. Had X-ray of hip this time. Up to now has been knee only. Surprise, surprise! There is arthritis in right hip. Going to have a steroid injection in hip fairly soon. It was physio who discovered it was hip causing problem! Will need new right hip in th3 future no doubt. Need advice as to best get about and drive!

• SueA
    Options

I have been to see Consultant today. Had X-ray of hip this time. Up to now has been knee only. Surprise, surprise! There is arthritis in right hip. Going to have a steroid injection in hip fairly soon. It was physio who discovered it was hip causing problem! Will need new right hip in th3 future no doubt. Need advice as to best get about and drive!