New diagnosis and new meds

Options

I was diagnosed with RA in March and today found out I will be on methotrexate. It all feels very overwhelming, especially the auto immune part and the side effects. Does anyone have any advise?

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @RachB1977 - welcome to the online community!

I see that you have been recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, and you're going to be on Methotrexate. You're feeling overwhelmed by it all, and wondering if you could have some advice.

My best advice is to try to take things in a bit at a time. Health changes can be a big thing for anyone to have to understand, and worry and shock can lead to things being confusing. So find some good information and read it a bit at a time, or go back and re-read it later, whichever works best for you. I've put a couple of relevant links below which may help. Also keep in mind that RA can be controlled, so while some changes may be necessary don't panic that everything is going to change all at once.

Also remember that Methotrexate and other drugs can take a few months to start working, so don't give up and do keep taking them. I'd also suggest keeping a written log of how you feel before taking them - what hurts what days and how much - then continue to keep this log while taking your medication, also logging anything which may be a side effect. A written log can help you immensely when you feel that not much has changed, but you go back and see that actually you are feeling a bit better and the medication is starting to work. It can also help a lot if you need to go back to your doctor for any reason. It doesn't have to be exhaustive, but noting something like: "pain, knees, all morning, at a level of 4." Just a line or two each day.

I'm sure some of our other members will be along with their advice, we have a few people with RA on here.

Also, please do have a look around the community. If you have any questions please do ask them - we are a very friendly bunch, and as they say, there are no dumb questions. It's incredibly helpful to talk to people who have a similar experience to yourself, so please do ask, or share your experience, or just have a chat with us 😊

Lovely to meet you!

Shell

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 133
    Options

Hi, I was diagnosed with RA in Feb, told I would be on MTX and started that after seeing the nurse at the start of March. I can relate to the overwhelmed bit! After I started, I certainly felt less overwhelmed and a friend commented that I also seemed more relaxed. I used to do a lot of running - but the consultant is positive that I should be able to get back to running once the medication kicks in and is at the right level (I'm at the stage now of thinking about running, and do parkrun weekly (as a run-walk) where I need to remind myself to take it gently).

• PatB2255
    PatB2255 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi, my sister-in-law has been on Methotrexate for a good while now and she has said it changed her life, I do hope it helps you the same way. Good luck with taking it.