Hip injections

Options

Hi all

I have seen consultant yesterday and he is going to start pan relief injections in hip. I have to wait my turn for it he didn’t say how long. I will have this treatment until a new hip is required. Does anyone know long you wait to get these injections.

thanks.

Comments

• Suzy5
    Suzy5 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hello there, I had mine quite quickly after seeing my consultant but that was before covid struck.

Hopefully you will have them soon

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 28. Apr 2022, 10:49
    Options

I'm afraid I've recently been told 20 weeks, but it does vary a lot between different health care trusts.

• Manningj
    Manningj Member Posts: 13
    Options

Are you having the injections as the wait list for a hip replacement is too long at the moment or is your hip still deemed good enough not to have the full hip replacement?

Good luck - I hope they work.

• PJ123
    PJ123 Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hi I thanks for the reply’s.

The consultant said a hip replacement is required in the future but for now to try the hip injections. I hope they work has the pain is excruciating and I am struggling with every day tasks.

• PJ123
    Options

Can anyone tell me please if the pain they get in hip arthritis is the same level regardless of how severe the joint is affected by arthritis. I have been diagnosed with mild arthritis in both hips well if the pain I get is just for mild arthritis I dread to think of how bad it’s going to get.

• Lilymary
    edited 30. Apr 2022, 15:24
    Options

I’m sorry you’re in so much pain. It can affect people very differently. I had almost no pain at all till I had a fall, at which point the X-ray found that osteoarthritis had been slowly eating away my hip joint for years without telling me. By the time I was xrayed (thinking I’d broken something) the damage was found to be so bad I was put straight onto the list for a new hip. They tried a steroid injection, but as there was no cartilage left and the bone was badly eroded, it didn’t work for me, but hopefully you will get some relief from it. It’s worth a try at least.

• msjenjenp
    msjenjenp Member Posts: 4
    Options

I have bone on bone hip arthritis in my right hip and had two cortisone shots at my surgeon's office. I didn't have to wait at all for the shots. He gave me one on the left side which did very little and six weeks or so later he gave me on the right side which did nothing for the pain. That's my experience with the shots. I have better luck with them in my knees.

• Norma
    Norma Member Posts: 4
    Options

I waited a few months and then the consultant emailed the radiographer that was to perform the injection.

he phoned at 10.30 to come in for 2.30 said I was pretty close to the top but because I was able to fill in for a cancellation I was done quicker

I would say about 6 months of waiting

• PJ123
    Options

Hi

just thought I would give update. I have been given date for hip injection for end of June. I go in at 07.30. Does anyone know how long you are in. I’ve not been given much information on what the procedure consists of. Thanks

• Lilymary
    Options

It depends on how quickly they process you, I had to go through a load of forms with the surgeon first, then if I remember right the procedure took about 15 minutes or so. But there was a bit of hanging around in between.

• PJ123
    Options

Thank you Lilymary for your reply.

• Edgey_75
    Edgey_75 Member Posts: 47
    Options

@PJ123 Hi 👋, how did your injections go for pain relief in your hips? I’m interested as I’ve been told to have these injections too. I also have arthritis in both hips, worse in my right and I’ve got a limp and find everyday tasks hard.