In the news today

Options

just wondered what people think about the latest advice

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I like the advice but I think the headline is irresponsible.

Once again, we get the lump, lazy term 'arthritis'. If those of us with inflammatory forms of arthritis suddenly decide ' prescribed medicine' includes DMARDS we'll be in deep trouble.

On the other hand, Versus Arthritis has long advocated exercise, a healthy diet and, if necessary, weight loss for OA and I'm totally with them on this. My RA is kept under control with DMARDS but my OA relies on me. It can be hard graft as Mr SW discovered when his hips went. He bought an exercise bike (Hates cycling) and not only stuck with it but also increased his times right up to his THR ops.

It's not easy. Even motivation can be really hard when we're in a lot of pain. But it works. I guess it could be as addictive as opioids but I doubt many of us would find that a problem😁

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nicholaj
    nicholaj Member Posts: 64
    Options

Glad you have posted this. I am somewhat ambivalent as I’m told by my GP that anti inflammatory drugs should be taken in moderation as they cause stomach problems and they prefer me to use paracetamol. I do exercise every day and am still mobile so think a pain killer to help me isn’t out of the way.

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406
    Options

The guidelines also say that, to help save the NHS money, doctors should not refer patients for diagnostic x-rays or scans to confirm they have the condition. Instead, GPs can diagnose osteoarthritis themselves in people over 45 with activity-related joint pain.

Nice said allowing doctors to diagnose arthritis without scans would “reduce unnecessary resource use”.

So it’s all about money again

• Blondie
    Blondie Member Posts: 5
    Options

Where will doctors refer people for tailored exercise plans? Will they help with weight loss? Not in my experience, the only advice I was given was have broccoli for lunch instead of a sandwich, not very helpful. I agree a healthy diet and whatever exercise you can do will help but that won’t take away the pain when you are struggling to sleep in the middle of the night. My hip surgeon told me the creams are no help with arthritic hips as the problem is too deep. Also how can a doctor know the extent of bone loss without an X-ray? There is some sense in the advice but as usual the infrastructure to provide the help is not there

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

The guidelines come from NICE not from the government.

The report can be read in full here https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/gid-ng10127/documents/draft-guideline

It also gives the opportunity to click on links to how their decisions were made.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jona
    Options

A consultant once told me there is nothing worse than bone pain it’s like toothache that never goes away as for referring us for tailored exercises well I guess it would be physio or pain management isn’t there a 2 year waiting list?? In the meantime without an X-ray or scan are we doing more harm than good? Drs go on fact not fiction

• Jona
    Options

NICE is an executive non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department of Health and Social Care.gov.uk

who are the government

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 183
    Options

Hi

Yes I heard this on the radio this morning.

I really don't think the Government have thought this through and are just trying to find another way to save money over people's health/mental wellbeing. I know that to do my exercises every day, I need to take a painkiller, mainly paracetamol to help me cope with the discomfort and pain. I only take my stronger painkillers ( Naproxen ) when I have a full on day, like walking or gardening. Do they really think that we like taking all this medication day after day just to keep going?

I wonder that if any person in Government who suffers with some form of Arthritis would agree with this? 🙁

• Peebs
    Peebs Member Posts: 19
    Options

If only it were that easy. I swim around 10k each week, race in marathon swims, ride my road bike or turbo trainer when I can. Am on my feet walking all day as a teacher. The pain is devastating at times. And the fatigue from lack of sleep. I kind of agree with the exercise and healthy weight (Im not a good weight despite exercise and Slimming World). Menopause and hypothyroidism contribute to the problem.“Timely surgery” caught my eye. Don’t want to take Naproxen etc. Just not that simple! 😡

• Jona
    Options

I am in total agreement Mike every individual is different and each case should be treated as such Im sure some drs are as fed up as we are being told how to suck eggs i once told my poor mum who had the same as me she needed to move a bit more years ago I didn’t know then how it was I do now I have never forgiven myself

• nicholaj
    nicholaj Member Posts: 64
    Options

The X-rays I had really helped my physio determine which joints were most affected and suggest appropriate exercises. It would have been very hard for her to do that without X-rays. Also she could see that my left knee is bone on bone and refer me for a possible knee replacement in the long term. The GP would never have know than from just talking to me on the phone which is how most consultations at our surgery are done now,

• Lindaa
    Lindaa Member Posts: 24
    Options

Osteo of knees and left hip. Right one replaced10 years ago. 'Annual' rheum appt at hospital next Friday 3 years and 2 months after last one. Last june dr got me xrays. Prescribed strong painkillers which mess stomach up. Told me they could ref to orthopaedics but need to see rheum consultant first. Walk regularly -3 miles today- but no longer a pleasure. Take painkillers when desparate. I think where you live and GPs attitude has big egfect on what treatment you get.

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi @Lindaa

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

You have OA in your knees and left hip, are on strong painkillers and are well overdue your next rheum appointment. You take regular exercise, but this has become more of a challenge.

Well I hope that joining the forum and meeting people who have been or are in a similar position brings you some benefit and helps you manage your situation. 

If you haven’t already visited our website you may find these links useful:

While you are here please take time to look around the community. I'm sure you will be able to find a couple of tips for your situation and other discussions that you may wish to join in on.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm