Methotrexate

I have been prescribed this and start tomorrow and the list of side effects terrify me. Can anyone give me any advise??

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 748

Hello @RachB1977 welcome to the online community,

You start on Methotrexate tomorrow and are worried about the side effects. I can quite understand your concerns as I am sure will many of our members. Rest assured your medical team will keep a close eye on you , taking frequent blood tests to monitor your progress. If it does not suit you and it does not agree with everyone, the team will suggest a different DMARD until they find one which benefits you and your condition. Many of our members , me included, have taken methotrexate (MTX) for numbers of years and are very grateful for the relief and stability it brings. I attach this link to help answer some of the questions that no doubt are troubling you. There are likely to be more! So do keep posting and asking and I am sure members will share their experiences with you.

The decision to take any medication is ultimately up to you . I can only say if your medical team are suggesting it is in your best interest then they have your well being and their knowledge and experience of treating patients with similar conditions to guide them.

Some of our members keep a health diary of their progress when starting a new medication, this may be the way you want to monitor your condition on the other hand you may think life is too short to bother.

If/when you start give it time to settle into your system, it does take a while.

There are lots of discussions on the subject on the forum Life with Arthritis so do join in and we look forward to hearing from you.

Take Care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Hi @RachB1977

ive been taking them for 14 weeks 15mgs a week and 6 sulfasalazine everyday no side affects at all I do make sure I have a carb dinner and I take them at 6pm ! Goodluck

• alexander1
    alexander1 Member Posts: 70

I can’t say I have had methotrexate side affects. 4th dose this Saturday. I have had issues but believe they are related to prednisone.

• RA2273
    RA2273 Member Posts: 2

i am newly diagnosed and 5 weeks in. No methorexate side effects so far.

• Lindaa
    Lindaa Member Posts: 24

I have been on methotrexate for several years. After diagnosis of Psoriatic arthritis a high dose soon kicked in and helped but felt a bit queasy after first few doses. Now on a lower dose and don't notice any side effects.

• Lindaa
    Lindaa Member Posts: 24