Hi!

Options
AngelicFruitcake01
AngelicFruitcake01 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

I was diagnosed with OA 12 months ago. I managed to get physio pretty quickly (thankfully). (I also live with chronic depression) I'm about 6months into the physio, but, truth is, I'm really struggling with it. Last time I went, she said I was stronger. However, this last 2 weeks, I dont know whether I've had a flare up or what, but I haven't been able to even walk more than a few steps. I called my GP, and he has doubled my meds and requested an MRI. But I'm STILL in loads of pain. I can't go shopping, I can't walk my dog or even housework. So much so, I've had to go off sick in my job, where I sit most of the time anyway (my manager is amazing, which sort of makes things things worse, as I feel guilty and as though I'm letting them and my patients down). I'm due back in physio next week, and I'm dreading it. All the exercises she has given me, I dont feel I can any of them at the moment. I feel as though I'm not being taken very seriously, and I'm at a loss as to what to do.

But anyway, nice to "meet" everyone!

Ruth x

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @AngelicFruitcake01

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

So you were diagnosed with Osteoarthritis around 12 months ago. You were able to get access to physio quite quickly which you are around 6 months into. The physio said the last time you went that you were getting stronger but the last 2 weeks you have been really struggling with a flare up. You are in a lot of pain, and are unable to walk more than a couple of steps which means that you can't go shopping, walk your dog and have had to go sick from work. You feel guilty about this because you spend most of your time sitting at your job and your manager is lovely and supportive. You feel like you are letting people down when you aren't able to go into work. Your GP has doubled your medications and has requested an MRI. You have physio next week but are dreading it because you haven't been able to do any of them at the moment. You don't feel like you are being taken very seriously and don't know what to do.

First of all, you have no reason to feel guilty! I can completely understand where you are coming from though because, believe me, it is something that I have felt many times and Im sure a lot of our other members can relate too! At the end of the day, in order to be the best version of yourself and give your best to your work and patients, you have to be able to look after yourself and put your health needs first. You are entitled to that and Im sure your boss would say the same.

With regards to your physio exercises, I'm sure that if your physio knew how much pain you were in, they would tell you should rest. Did you ask your GP what they thought you should do? The physio's I've had contact with have always told be to only do the exercises gently and not at all if I'm having a flare up. I think if you feel like it is too much, then you simply don't do them and just let your physio know what has been happening at your next appointment.

With regards to not been taken seriously, in what way and by whom do you mean?

I've found the following information below that I think you might find useful. Please do have a read when you get the chance.

Please know that now you are a member of this community, we will always be here to support you whenever you need us. We are always looking to make new friends and there is someone around most of the time if you ever need to chat. Please do feel free to get involved and take a good look around. There are lots of interesting chats going on.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)