Swimming with osteoarthritis in fingers

Options
WendyAnne
WendyAnne Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I used to love swimming, having eventually joined swimming lessons when I was 60. I am now 63 and have just been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in the fingers. The cold water and moving my hands to swim has become too painful. Can anyone offer any advice to how I might be able to carry on swimming without the pain ?

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 680
    Options

Hi @WendyAnne  

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum. 

I see that you have OA in your fingers which is preventing you from continuing with your swimming as it’s too painful. You’d like to hear from any forum members who can offer any advice/tips on how you might mitigate the pain to enable you to continue with your hobby. 

If you’ve not visited our website you may find these fingers exercises beneficial:

I couldn’t find any past forum discussions that specifically relate to your query, but have you considered buying some swimming gloves? These might at least keep your hands warmer. If you google the term there appear to be a number of providers. 

I hope you receive some useful feedback from forum members. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• WendyAnne
    Options

Thank you very much for your response. I will look into using swimming gloves as you suggest.

• janiebin
    janiebin Member Posts: 53
    Options

I had not really thought about using swimming gloves but they sound a great idea. Let us know how you get on

Janiebin

• WendyAnne
    Options

Will do.