Are depo medrone injections happening yet?

Evening all,

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with having depo medrone injections into hands since recently?

I know at one point public health weren't allowing doctors to do them. I'm really really struggling at the minute with my hands. It's constant pain and I have developed a huge lump at the base of my thumb where the arthritis is, even after physio. I'm taking Gabapentin, and am using volterol gel on it every day.

I type for a living and I'm just fed up with it hurting so much. The injection relieves it for a couple of months even though it's agony for the days after.

Just wondered if anyone knew if they are available yet.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I'm not sure they were ever stopped though we are limited in how often we can have them as too many can do more harm than good. This might be something local to you so I'd suggest you check it out with your GP or consultant.

Either way, typing daily with arthritic hands is not something that can go on indefinitely. Ask to get a physio's advice. Exercises will help and there might be some hand protectors you can use but none,of us can rely on steroid jabs indefinitely.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,334

Gosh you must be in agony @Ederner

Have you thought about voice activated software? I don't know whether that could help you to do your job without using your poor hands so much.

Just an idea ignore if it won't help in your individual situation.

Toni x

• Ederner
    Ederner Member Posts: 13

It's been looked into, but it's not overly compatible with the programme we use. Luckily I only type in short bursts rather than huge documents so it's not too bad. Crocheting helps, so does tens and volterol but they aren't quite cutting it at the minute.