Newbie introduction: Medical cannabis diary. Part 1

Options
Rubikscubeboy
Rubikscubeboy Member Posts: 44
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I joined this site last month so I thought it was time to add my personal story.

I'm 45, and I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for about 15 years. I'm a typical bloke, and thought I knew better than the doctors. I didn't want to try Methotrexate as I was out on the beer most nights as I was playing a lot of darts and didn't want to give up drinking or smoking. I thought I could deal with a few aches and pains, so I just started taking Sulphasalazine orally twice a day and didn't think much more about it.

Things have got worse for me over the years and 15 years later, I've just had my second full hip replacement and I'm now waiting for a bilateral knee replacement. I'm currently using a wheelchair outside the house or double crutches inside the house. Thankfully I have a great employer and I am able to continue working from home.

I have finally been given the go ahead to start biologic medication. Too late to save the hips or knees but hopefully will slow the progression in my hands, elbows, shoulders, etc. On top of the Rheumatoid Arthritis I have also just been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis. Apparently the biologics may help with this?

The doctors don't like to prescribe biologics until it's too late in my opinion as it costs 10k a year on the NHS. I have just had my second biweekly injection of Adalimumab and I'm hoping this is going to be as good as I have heard, but not holding out a lot of hope.

Like most people I hate taking opioid pain killers and I have made the decision to try a different kind of pain management. Its not cheap at £300 a month and not affordable for everyone but I will be joining a private pain management clinic.

I am waiting to be interviewed to join the feasability study for medical cannabis for chronic pain and I will make regular updates to this site if I get accepted.

All the best on your journeys with this horrible misunderstood disease.

Hopefully the moderators will set up a new tag for medical cannabis and I will add the links if anyone is interested in following my journey.

Cheers Danny (Rubikscubeboy)