tips following new hip replacement

Hi Everyone

After 18 months classed a urgent high priority but suitable for private transfer I have been done at a private hospital a two hour drive from home! My new surgeon was totally unimpressed at the state of my hip and said quite frankly it is the worst he has ever had to replace!

Day 4 after my right hip replacement home on day 2. Bruising starting to come out and lots swelling around knee, coping would be the word but looking for advice, was given a raised toilet seat, absolutely the most painful thing to use and have to have someone stabilising my zimmer when lower and rising . Has anyone bought there own alternative and if so what and where from please, need some solutions as will also need the other hip replacing fairly soon.

Have lost my sense of humour at the moment so god knows what clown came up with these seats as easy to use haha

Any other tips gratefully received as feeling very anxious and stressed that doing the wrong thing, moving wrong way ect.

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791
    edited 13. May 2022, 16:27

Hi @Puzzleaddict

Welcome to the online community,great to see you asking questions and seeking answers.

You say you have just had a hip replacement and you are having problems with your raised toilet seat and ask if any one has heard of a raised seat that is more comfortable to use and more practical aswell

You have also lost your sense of humour and feel anxious and stressed because of it all.

This is a link i have come up with for seats.

This link may help you as a whole.Do tell us how you get on and please go on our forums and chat to others it often helps

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I'm sorry you're struggling a bit but it's very early days for you. Has the hospital sent you home with some notes? ie exercises and when to expect what.

We have several new 'hippies' on here. This is a recent thread https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/comment/693939#Comment_693939 and @RogerBill has written a very comprehensive thread on his THR. Mine were both ages ago but I found the key was rest, exercises and elevating the operated leg.

I remember someone else didn't get on with raised loo seats. I've used them for years (I have RA), several different ones but never had a problem with any. I find them all basically the same but would caution you to avoid the soft ones as they're basically for people who need softness rather than height. Once you sit on them they squash down and you could dislocate a new hip trying to get off them. Perhaps your loo is very low and your current raised seat isn't high enough. They come in different heights. Or, for more height, you can buy a framè to go round the loo containing its own seat. Any online disability store will have them.

Good luck and keep in touch.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Rubikscubeboy
    Rubikscubeboy Member Posts: 44
    edited 14. May 2022, 09:03

I have just started a new thread called 'gadgets'. It would be great to get a list together for medical items that don't exist or ones that need to be improved. Please add your thoughts on the raised toilet seats.

All the best

• Thank you everyone. it certainly is a massive learning curve being home. The hospital measured me for the raised seat I just find it so difficult to use so frame round loo type thing is what I may need especially as I need the other one done soon. will look through other threads too for tips and advice. x

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 8. Jun 2022, 10:55

This sort of thing https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/bathroom-aids/toilet-frames/standard-toilet-frames/height-adjustable-toilet-frame-with-seat?sku=M11090&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpv2TBhDoARIsALBnVnlLukZb4kZYPECxQ0bNUslCooSNwW2if9Y4hCUetj6_fqfvu_dAfKsaAlLYEALw_wcB

It just goes over the toilet seat. The handles are useful too for getting up.

Edit by Admin

I just want to point out that aids and gadgets can often be got via your local council (OT assessment) if for long term use or via your local hospital/physio department, Red Cross etc.

If you choose to buy any aids do think about checking around, the links which are given are to show what is available NOT to promote any website, nor are they necessarily the best price.

YvonneH

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Hi, Im six weeks post hip replacement now. Still have raised toilet seat but hoping to abandon it soon. The first one I had was delivered just before my op after phone call with occupational therapist to take height etc. Far too narrow for me, I am fat with big legs and guessed (correctly!) that I would be more swollen post op, didn't want wound pushing against frame. In hospital I had a wide frame over seat so spoke to therapist and took a wide one home with me.

Frame over seat is very stable and doesn't move anywhere. I found it really hard to use at first as I was constipated and the height didn't help with pushing. Sorted that in the first week.

Can't say I like using it but didn't want to dislocate so needs must. Seeing consultant this week and hoping to get rid of it.

Try phoning the occupational therapy department at your NHS hospital for suggestions, they may have something more suitable to try.

All the best for your recovery.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

I have the frame around the loo sort and gosh wouldn't be without it - except on holidays and then I know about it!

I hope you can get something more suitable soon. ((()))

Toni x

• Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153

Dear Puzzleaddict,

Regarding the toilet seat, if it's hurting, is it too deep for you? I'm not tall, so I contacted the people who supplied it (either council or NHS. Not sure which, so not cost involved). They gave a "thinner" seat, more suitable for my height. But MOST IMPORTANTLY (excuse capitals. Didn't want you to miss this) my absolute God send was having a toilet frame too, supplied free by the same agency that provided the raised toilet seat. That gives yiu exactly what you heed. Something secure to hold onto to get on/off the toilet safely, and with minimum extra pain. When I go on holiday, that is the thing I miss the most.

Regarding the sense of humour, I'm sure that will come back, but do you have people around to off load and chat too? I find that invaluable to get through times of crisis. I've had mental health issues in the past Puzzle (pardon the over familiarity!! I can ne a bit of a clown too) so I have my emotional helplines, that have helped get me through hard times, particularly in the middle of yhr night when there is nothing and no one else to cosy up to. That, of course, includes this site.

I'm sure you will look back in a month, breathe a sigh of relief, and pat yourself on your back as you came through.

A neighbour who had a knee replacement, and name tye mist incredible recovery, said to me that regardless of the pain level, follow the instructions of the physios. He said that became the most relevant element of his recovery.

Thinking of you,

Sheelee