Hi I'm new

Vonnie
Vonnie Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

I have been diagnosed with RA, I will be seeing a rheumatologist on Wednesday for the first time.

initially they gave me steroids, which have now run out, and I am having another flaire up, this time in my right knee and right shoulder where I can't lift my arm. I phoned the doctor yesterday to be told use the e consult on Monday. In the mean time all I have is co codimol tablets, and in all honesty they are hardly touching the pain. I am 60 years old, this RA has made me think about my job (I am a warehouse manager), where we are quite physical most days, usually doing over 10,000 steps by tea break or lunchtime. I am hoping once I can get on medication it will ease these flaire ups and make my RA more managable. I really don't want to give up a job I love.

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317

Hello @Vonnie

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

So you have been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and will be seeing a rheumatologist on Wednesday for the first time. You were originally prescribed steroids which did help at the time. However they have now run out and you are experiencing a flare up again. You were told by your GP practice that you can request them on Monday so you have to go through the weekend without them. You are worried about the long term effects and how it will effect you job which you love.

I can understand your concerns for the future, especially when you love your job as much as you do but once you have been put on the right medication for you, you may find that you are able to continue much as you are. It just may take a little while to get the right level of the drug into you, but most people find that life can very much continue in the same way from before the where diagnosed.

When you see the rheumatologist on Wednesday they will be able to explain all of your options. I recommend making a list of any questions you have and taking that with you.

Ive found the following links that I think will be of interest to you so please do take a look when you have a chance.

Please do let us know how you get on Wednesday, Also, please do continue to keep getting involved in the community. We are a friendly bunch and always looking to make new friends.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• clare73
    clare73 Member Posts: 11

hi @Vonnie

i also have Ra and osteoarthritis in both knees I work in warehouse and on my feet 8 hours a day. I have spoken to a occupational health through work and I’ve been told the job I was doing is to physical for me and I need to look after myself now

I’m only 49 and I’ve had to give up my job but work have found me a more less physical job to do now. Can your work do that for you find you a less physical job you could do.