Dad's knees - osteoarthritis

DanTheMan
DanTheMan Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member, looking for information, support and advice about my father's situation. He is 80 and has OA in both knees, cartilage worn down, the first knee affected for a long time and second knee worse in the last year- to the point where he uses two sticks and can barely walk around the house now. His referral for knee ops is potentially a two year wait and I'm so worried about him and also my Mum coping with it. Luckily I live close by and can help a lot. He has Fenbid gel and also takes Co-codomol, The latter has been changed to a stronger one 2 weeks ago. They made him sleep already but this stronger one knocks him out - just taking one a day - and it's not as if it helps the pain a great deal. This really worries me, the parents had an OT visit last week - very helpful and gave such good info and is sorting a walker for him etc., but she suggested taking more co-codomol. How can this be a good idea, if only one a day has such an effect?!

It's obviously getting him down, affects sleep, and it in turns affect Mum. And constipation has been a recent issue too, but that seems eased by powders he was given by doc. I hope someone has had similar experiences and can share advice. He is also taking cider vinegar and honey and turmeric, which may only scratch the surface, but can't do any harm!

If an operation is such a long way off, I worry about the time between now and then so much.

Best wishes to you all,

Dan

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @DanTheMan Welcome to the Versus Arthritis Online Community.

How lovely to read a post from a son who obviously cares so much about his Dad (and Mum too) that he has taken the time to post here.

Reading your message in detail I think you have really done an excellent job helping your Father with his severe Osteoarthritis in both knees. Of course you will worry about him and your Mother coping when waiting lists are so very long.

It seems to me that you have done everything you can for now; getting him some stronger medication as well as an Occupational Therapist Assessment for example. Some people do find the higher dose Co-codamol can knock them out when they first take it maybe a conversation with his GP might be an idea with regards to pain relief. There may be alternatives available for him.

Many of our members do have Osteoarthritis in their knee or knees so you should find plenty of support here. In the meantime maybe it would help to look at this article:

I don't know whether you know much about surgery of the knee so am attaching some information on the subject:

Feel free to take a look around the forum for example Life with Arthritis.

In addition you can ring our helpline if you think it might help to talk things through with someone:

Very best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Hi @DanTheMan

Nice to meet you. Especially as you are posting to try to help your Dad😊. It's almost worse to see someone you care about suffer and be in pain than having it yourself.

I have read your post and definitely you have done probably as much as you can for now. Other than maybe ringing the consultant's secretary get it registered that your Dad will take a cancellation appointment at short notice for his surgery.

As for his Cocodamol it sent me super woozy when I first started on it many years ago so I began by taking it only at night (and only 1)to ease the pain and help me sleep. Eventually I could cope with taking the prescribed dose.

Also a small glass of prune juice did the job as far as keeping things regular are concerned!

Any question just ask us

Toni

• Hi I asked my consultant if I could go on the cancellation list as he said there was a 22year wait. I have just had my op after a,3month wait because someone cancelled. I would certainly try doing this. I meant 2 year wait.

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317

Hello @Maryanne2009

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

We look forward to hearing more about yourself and your arthritis journey.

We are a friendly bunch here in the community and always looking to make new friends so please do continue to keep getting involved. Its wonderful to see that you have already commented on another members post so early and I would encourage you to keep sharing and helping by sharing your own experience and stories.

Areas that I would recommend you taking a look at would be the Living with Arthritis section as well as Val's Café. Val's café is a great area to share what's going on in your life, as well as recipes and stories.

once again, thank you for joining us.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Brilliant @Maryanne2009

thanks for letting people know that instead of a 2 year wait you only waited 3 months getting a cancellation😊

Oh yes I am very glad to hear it isn't 22 years!

I hope your new hip is working well.

Toni xx