Increasing pain

Options

I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis arthritis in both knees following x-ray. R knee is worse on x-ray and I can’t straighten it fully, however I have a very different pain in left knee. It’s a sharp stabbing pain when I weightbear, is this normal? I’m not sure whether it’s attributed to deterioration of if it’s injured through uneven gait due to arthritis. All advice welcome.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hello @DeniseB62 welcome to the Online Community.

I see you have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis if I understand you correctly rather than Osteoarthritis? Usually Osteoporosis is diagnosed via a DEXA scan.

Your Right knee looks worse on X-ray, but you have different pain in your left and are wondering whether it's normal.

We aren't medically trained here, but it's possible one or more of our members might have had a similar experience and be able to share that with you. While you're waiting for someone to reply I am going to attach a couple of links which might be of interest to you:

and this one if you feel maybe like trying some gentle exercise for your knees?

Do please take a look around the forum and join in wherever you wish you are sure of a warm welcome.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Hello @DeniseB62

Nice to meet you. I read your post and think you might be right about compensating with the 'good' leg to protect the 'bad' one.

Only way to sure though is to speak to your Dr. Maybe a referral to physio might be an idea?

A couple of ideas to try though. First of all do you use a walking aid a stick or crutch to ease the pressure? Have you tried heat to soothe the pain at all? I swear by my microwavable wheatbags and must use them every single day.

Anyway good to meet you.

Take care

Toni x

• DeniseB62
    DeniseB62 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Sorry my typo mistake I meant osteoarthritis (predicted text faux pah thank you for your comments, really helpful.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

@DeniseB62 I had a feeling it was autocorrect at work! It does that to me all the time🙄

Ellen.

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi @DeniseB62

I've just written a welcome to this lady, @gbtbag who is in a similar position to yourself and who has joined today. Here is a link to her post

There are some links there that might be useful to you as well 😊

YvonneH