Recently Diagnosed

Options
Paigeyy11
Paigeyy11 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi all,

I'm 26 years old and was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritus early April.

I feel relieved that all the pain and symptoms i had been experiencing over the last years weren't all in my head.

I just wanted to reach out to this community as I have been struggling mentally with it and wanted to see if anyone has any advice with low moods.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @Paigeyy11 Welcome to the Online Community

You are making huge adjustments just now having got your diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis. I can see part of you is relieved that there really was something wrong, but another part is maybe feeling the impact of this diagnosis.

Low mood is something many of us have here and is totally understandable. Living with pain and a different future to the one we thought we would have, is bound to have an impact on our mental health.

While you wait to hear from our members I would just like to attach a couple of links which might help a little:

If you felt it might be useful please don't hesitate to contact our helpline team too:

I am very pleased you have chosen to reach out today and join us you are not alone.

Very best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

Hi @Paigeyy11

Nice to meet you welcome from me too.

When I was diagnosed I was beside myself, totally. I would do nothing but talk about me instead of caring much about others. I refused to plan anything 'in case' I wasn't up to it. I was an Arthritis bore sorry to say it but I was. Gradually over time I found that my life was actually ok - I was still on my feet still doing pretty well everything I always did. I am living a good life now slightly different to what I had expected, but absolutely fine.

I always say to those newly diagnosed that it's a bit like grieving a loss accepting that you have Arthritis. You have to grieve for what you thought your life would be before being ready to move forwards with the life you have. Feel free to cry, yell, wallow for a bit, but then once you've done that you can start getting practical and see what you can do to help yourself.

We can eat healthily

not smoke

not drink tooooo much

Get reliably informed (not DR google - places like this or NRAS)

Talk to people (us lot who understand won't judge or be upset like family and friends are)

Take our medication as prescribed

Exercise sensibly

and take care of our mental health. That means very kind to yourself take a lovely warm bath with (a) glass of wine. have a meal out with friends whatever is good for you. If you think you are dipping too low ask your Dr for help.

Take care now

Toni x