On holiday and worst RA flare ever

Options

Hi, we have come to a gorgeous luxury hotel for 3 nights approx 4 hours from home. Sadly my left shoulder is so bad I can’t raise my harm, and other joints are beginning to join the party. Got co- codacodomol from pharmacy but can’t take any anti- inflammatories as on low dose aspirin. Any advice for some self-management as the pain is awful and ruining our time away.

Thanks, a tearful Mary

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Mary,

Thank you for posting on our on-line forum, we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing a flare up and of the pain that you have in your shoulder, we are also sorry to hear that this is spoiling your holiday.

If you are having regular flare-ups, it may be best to mention this to your doctor or consultant, as it may be that your treatment needs reviewing. A flare up can happen after you have been stressed or had an infection, so it could be worth knowing if anything has changed recently with yourself.

Here are a few things you can do to help yourself during a flare-up:

Keep taking your medication at the doses you’ve been prescribed.

Do gentle exercises, such as some gentle shoulder exercises.

Put heated items on the joint – these can include a hot water bottle or electric heat pad or a wheat pack.

Put cold items on the joint – these can include a pack of frozen peas wrapped in a damp towel or an ice pack.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• mhellis
    mhellis Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thanks but no access to heat or ice hence it’s so much worse as I can’t do that. Pain meds are not touching it and first major flare in a long time but I will contact my nurse