Is 84 years old too late to consider a hip replacement.

Options
MikeL
MikeL Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi all, thanks for letting me in.

After suffering with back pain for a number of years, and now with knee pain, I have recently been diagnosed with OA of the hip.

I am reasonably healthy for an ‘old codger’.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 680
    Options

Hi @MikeL and welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

You have recently been diagnosed with OA in your hip and by the sound of it may have been told that you’re to old for a hip replacement. You consider yourself in reasonable shape for an ‘old codger’ 😊

You don’t say what brings you to the forum so I suggest that you make a further post outlining what you’d like to get out of the forum e.g. advice, just to chat or ……. This will enable other forum members to better engage with you.

If you haven’t visited our website you may find this link of interest:

Also, here’s a recent discussion that you may wish to join in on:

Please feel free to contribute to any post on Living With Arthritis and other forums. Also, feel free to start a new one there, if you have a question, clearly titled so that others can easily see what you'd like to talk about.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

Hi Mike and welcome from me too.

One can be too ill for a new hip, too obese or possibly on too many meds for other conditions but \I've not heard of 'too old'. Hadn't 'Captain Tom' recently got a new hip just before he started his 'marathon'.

If they offer one go for it and good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Chunkygardener
    Options

Hi, about 20 years ago my husbands grandfather had both hips replaced in his late 80s and lived another 10 years, mobile and active.

As Sticky wicket says above its more about your general health. Most hip replacements are done under spinal not general anaesthetic so you don't need to be that fit to have surgery.

Most waiting lists are long though sadly. Get a referral to an orthopaedic surgeon for their opinion. If I was in my 80s and could afford private care I would to jump the waiting lists. You don't want to spend years waiting.

All the best

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Hi @MikeL

Go for it! you are never too old and just think of the potential positive outcome😊

then come on here and tell us all about it.

Toni xx