Foot/ankle swelling and general outburst :(

Hello!

I'm under investigation for RA (on steroids and awaiting bloods).

Don't get me wrong, I have been in some pain, but the worst bit of it all has been my horrible foot, ankle and lower leg swelling! I'm just struggling to believe this is a symptoms, as daft as it sounds. The swelling gets worse when I've been on my feet for long periods, or in hot weather. I'm left with severe indentations after wearing socks and shoes for a short period.

It looks horrible and especially with summer approaching, it's really getting me down.

I've attached some photos.

Is this super common?? The swelling is on top of my foot. Nothing in toes..

Thanks!

On another note.... I'm a midwife and currently signed off working my 12.5 shifts. I have no idea what my career is looking like now. This makes me cry ...

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

I am sorry I hope they get you diagnosed and on some treatment soon @Mrsk22 Once getting treated things should hopefully settle.

All being well you can return to the career you obviously miss ATM.🤞

When my legs are swollen and the weather is hot I tend to opt for very long skirts or even long cotton trousers.

Take care

Toni x

• Alexia
    Alexia Member Posts: 6
    edited 23. May 2022, 06:21

I just had the same experience recently, and I know how it feels to have a pain on the foot all of a sudden, mine it’s purple from it ( that’s how bad it got) but not everyone have the same pain.

what helped me was a bit of cold water on top of it, and a small cushion underneath when I slept ( bought specially for my knee which now I use for my foot), the cushion is important so your foot is higher than your body but also doesn’t risk been hit if you move around the bed.

I also tried when I could touch it put some massage oil it, during the night. Wear socks with flip flop going to and from work, it’s not ideal since it needs to breath but I couldn’t bear the pain of the flip flop touching my foot and that was the solution.

I have ra, and from my blood test the uric acid turns into crystal creating all this pain and swollen. Hopefully they will find out what causes yours

hopefully I helped and let me know how it goes