Sunny weather gardening

Sewsy
Sewsy Member Posts: 6

I have a large garden that I have adapted over the years. Is anyone else struggling with gardening and Rheumatoid Arthritis? I was diagnosed for many years with Osteoarthritis but now find it is R A.

I love the outdoors and it benefits my mental health but gardening with RA in my spine hands and toes is difficult. I try to pace but there's so much to do.

Any tips or equipment help?

Tagged:

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 604

Hi @Sewsy ,

There's a few posts on gardening that you might like to read - have a read through and feel free to join in the conversation, or post any questions you've got. Here's the link:

Anna (Mod)

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 68

Hi Sewsy

Yes I agree there is lots to do in the garden, especially this time of year. I have osteoarthritis in my right knee and try to time myself when in the garden. It is very tempting to try and do a bit more, but usually my knee dictates when to stop! Also I have been turning a "blind eye" to certain tidying jobs and am finding to my surprise that I prefer my garden to look more natural. I have been growing more perennial plants/shrubs now and find that they need little maintenance. I love lavender and the wild geraniums and verbena "lollipop" as they tend to self seed anywhere and this saves on any weeding.

I do have a seat/kneeler which I use occasionally when tending the plants in pots and my long-handled hoe is a great all rounder tool. Otherwise I have had a gardener in to help initially dig the veggie beds and my dear hubby to plant the veggies for me!

Let us know how you are getting on. Take care.😊

Who's Online

5 Guests