Awaiting first appointment with Rheumatology

Options
Mills_27
Mills_27 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi All

I'm glad to be here.

After months of back, hip hand and foot pain, GP has referred me to Rheumatology. From your experience, what should I be asking the consultant? What did you wish you'd have asked, at your first appointment?

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 974
    Options

Hi @Mills_27 and welcome to the online community - we're glad you're here too!

After months of pain in your hip, hand and foot, I would imagine that you are relieved to be referred to a rheumatology department where they can assess you, give you a diagnosis and begin treatment.

Members on the forum have all experienced living with arthritis and I'm sure will be able to offer plenty of tips about what to ask the consultant, and also tell you what they wish they'd asked at their first appointment.

You might be interested to have a look at the following - Versus Arthritis have published a helpful guide to people who are newly diagnosed. It describes the different types of arthritis, treatment available and also which medical professionals you are likely to be put in touch with. It could give you some idea of what to expect and also what questions you can ask (although I would imagine at your first appointment, you will be the one who is asked a lot of questions) :

Do let us know how you get on - perhaps you could post about your first appointment in the Living with Arthritis forum as I'm sure there will be other members interested.

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Mills_27
    Mills_27 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello All

I have been in pain now for 2 days. The pain is keeping me in bed. I can only manage to just about get to the loo by myself. I’ve been taking co-codemol. I’m not getting any better. Do you think I should call an ambulance or just wait a bit longer, for my mobility to come back? I am frightened.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Hi @Mills_27

I would try my GP again first or 111. Are you on your own? If you are i imagine it is really terrifying to feel in such pain - well I know it is and totally sympathise. I have only ever called an ambulance for life threatening emergencies, (though that is me), or seizures that wouldn't stop in someone. I imagine that's your dilemma too knowing the huge strain they are under at the moment, but being so frightened it's all you can think about. Especially in the dead of night when the rest of the world seems to be asleep and 'fine'.

When is your consultant's appointment due? That's what you really need - some treatment and a diagnosis. Do you know who you are seeing yet? If you do you could contact their secretary and offer to take a cancellation appointment at short notice if you could get there?

I wrote a huge list a week or so back for someone about what to ask I will have a go at finding it if I can for you.

Sending you ((()))

Take care

Toni x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

I found it @Mills_27

Hope it helps and most of all that today is a better day for you ((()))

Toni x