Erosive arthritis

Options

My hands were x rayed because I think I have psoriatic arthritis. I'm seeing rheumatologist next week (through Benenden). The x-ray report queries erosive or osteo arthritis. Investigating I found that erosive means inflammatory which would support my feelings. I have always (since teenager) had OA (not disabling) but started mild skin psoriasis at age 75 - I blame the Covid booster. My finger and toe joints have changed in the last few months (other joints like elbows also hurt) but pain is random and luckily short lived. My question is, have you heard the term "erosive" and does just cover all inflammatory diseases. TIA.

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Hiphoplil,

Thank you for posting on the Helpline forum. I am sorry to hear about the pain and other symptoms you have been experiencing.

It is good that you have had an X-ray of your hands and you are due to see a rheumatologist next week to help ensure that you receive the right diagnosis and treatment. An X-ray would confirm osteoarthritis (OA). Blood tests are needed to help to diagnose psoriatic arthritis which is an inflammatory type of arthritis. It is possible to have both conditions at the same time. Erosive can mean ‘wearing away’. Thinning and wearing away of the joint cartilage occurs in osteoarthritis (OA). It will be good to have the opportunity to talk things through with a rheumatologist who will be able to answer your questions and clarify things for you. Writing down your questions and concerns before the appointment may help.  We are not medically trained and not qualified to offer a diagnosis.

I hope you find the information given below of some help. 

If at any point you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence about your arthritis, you are welcome to call our Free Helpline on 0800 520 0520 weekdays 9am – 6pm. Posting on our Living with Arthritis forum may generate more responses from people living with similar symptoms and challenges.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor 

• Hiphoplil
    Hiphoplil Member Posts: 13
    Options

Thanks for your response. My bloods are ok and apparently PsA cannot be diagnosed by blood test results - it seems diagnosis is opinion based. I looked up erosive osteoarthritis and as far as I can make out it is a distinctive condition but with similarities to psoriatic arthritis and both of which involve inflammation.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Hiphoplil,

Thank you for your post. I hope you found the links I gave of some help.  I have provided some more information below from our website which may help to clarify things for you. It sounds as if it will be good to have the opportunity to talk things through further with your rheumatologist next week.

There’s no specific test to diagnose psoriatic arthritis, so a diagnosis will be made based on your symptoms and a physical examination by your doctor. Tell your doctor if you have any history of psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis in your family.

If you’ve developed psoriasis in the past few years, and symptoms of arthritis have started more recently, this could suggest it’s psoriatic arthritis. But it doesn’t always follow this pattern.

It can sometimes be difficult to tell the difference between psoriatic arthritis and some other conditions, including rheumatoid arthritisosteoarthritis, and gout.

Blood tests such as those for rheumatoid factor and the anti-CCP antibody can help with your diagnosis.

As I said in my last post, if at any point you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence, you are welcome to call our Free Helpline on 0800 520 0520 weekdays 9am – 6pm.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor