New diagnosis

Hi I've just been diagnosed with arthritis in my knee after weeks of pain. Had steroids injection which will hopefully help. Can you tell me what helps you manage the pain? I've got a TENS machine which does make it easier but not finding any pain relief helpful. My father in law has given me a pot of emu oil. Has anyone else tried that? I need to move more and loose weight. Do I just have to grit my teeth and get walking despite the discomfort?

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 739

Hello @Sharwalli , welcome to the online community

You have recently been diagnosed with arthritis in your knee. You have had a steroid injection and have a TENS machine both of which you hope will help with your pain relief. You are wondering if emu oil and moving more despite the pain will also help.

So many of us living with arthritis especially when we are newly diagnosed feel that exercise is counter intuitive but many members will agree that when you can you should because in the longer term keeping our joints and muscles as flexible as possible can only be beneficial. So start slowly and build up gradually and as your body gets used to it so it will become easier. The added bonus is it can lift your spirits and help with some weight loss.

I attach some links which I hope you will find helpful

Many members are following the new exercise videos and are feeling the benefits so if you feel like giving them a try let us know how you get on. If you browse round the community you will see a great variety of discussions and activities where we share information, advice and offer support to each other so do join in , we look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579

Pain relief does not come in a single form, pain relief is a mixture of self help and medical intervention. Legal Medical pain relief is a short term answer, before long you will need a stronger and larger amount, not a route to be recommended and GPs are advised to resist making them available to us. There are thousands of pages of information on this forum and since arther affects each individual in different ways so the journey to find a method of relief varies.

good luck

its a grin, honest!

• Peebs
    Peebs Member Posts: 19

Hi. I’m learning to live with and manage my knee arthritis. I’m finding what helps and how to plan what I’m doing. I try not to take heavy NSAIDs and pain killers. I know I have to plan how much I can do in a day around work where im on my feet all day. I swim a lot (with minimal use of my legs) and do cycle. “Motion is lotion”. When cycling I use paracetamol and ibuprofen and afterwards ice my knee for 10 mins every hour. You’ll find what works for you. I also find drinking lots of water each day flushes out the inflammatory ‘stuff’. I also do the knee strengthening exercises on the Versus Arthritis YouTube channel- highly recommend them.