Recently Diagnosed

Options
alisonf
alisonf Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Good Morning all, I have recently been diagnosed with Patellofemoral Osteoarthritis in my left knee. The pain came on VERY suddenly last October, I was leading an active life walking the dog three times a day, working full time and then the pain started in my knee, painkillers support bandage and rest and I thought it would settle down...

8 months latter I'm in daily pain, unable to carry out my job which I love, x-Ray, MRI, visit to private and NHS Dr both diagnosed my problem and have told me I just have to readjust my lifestyle..

Im struggling to get my head around the changes I have to make i.e. trying to walk without swearing as the pain is so bad. I am having to give up my job and look for something I can do, which in its self is a problem as I'm not sure what job that will be.

Struggling to get my head around how the pain came on so quick and has not left just stayed the same, people talk about flair ups of arthritis, but mine has not settled down its just stayed the same.

Very frustrated and a little fed up..😔

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Hello@alisonf welcome to the online community

You have osteoarthritis in your knee and it has caused you to have a major rethink about the adjustments you need to make to your career and lifestyle. Like many of us when we are first diagnosed we have to give ourselves time and mental space to readjust to the effects this condition is going to make to our lives. Yes, frustration and fed up ness are all part of it for ourselves and those close to us. So we are here for you and others who are coming to terms with living with arthritis and hope that the online community will provide you with not just information but advice, tips on gardening, cooking, sculpting etc as well as a safe place to let off some of that frustration steam.

I attach some links which I hope you will find useful

As you can see one of the key elements to maintaining our health and wellbeing is exercise. So carry on enjoying your dog walking but maybe try a shorter route, different shoes, longer/shorter lead length etc whatever might take the strain off your knee joint.

I hope you find time in your busy life to browse round the community , there is a lot to offer you by way of support and distraction, so do let us know how you are getting on.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi @alisonf

I'm giving you this link as it has a section exactly relevant to your condition. It may be that you have been lucky enough to have missed out on the lead up regular pain slowly increasing and have gone straight to the 'this is serious pain'.

It is difficult to adjust, try to problem solve all the ways you could continue your job, reduce hours, start later, arrange to sit down/sit with your knee up if that's helpful before you give up on it. The same goes for everything else too, if you need help problem solving or just need to 'vent' then this is the place to be, no judging, just help to get your head round it

Take care

Yvonne