Steroids - making me crazy

Options
Hepcat
Hepcat Member Posts: 1
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi all

I received a diagnosis for inflammatory arthritis last month. It came on rapidly, affecting most of my joints.

Have been on steroids for a good few weeks now. As a bridging therapy. My heart races and I'm really struggling with terrible anxiety, panic attacks and spinning, racing thoughts. All my usual coping mechanisms are not cutting it.

I have read that steroids can have an adverse effect on parts of the brain. Also - that they can impare the effectiveness of certain antidepressents. The one I take has been extremely effective in helping my brain to "rationalnise".

It's hard enough to cope with the arthritis diagnosis. But I feel like I'm going crazy.

Jane

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Hello @Hepcat welcome to the online community

You have had a speedy onset of inflammatory arthritis and are now struggling with anxiety, panic attacks and spinning thoughts. You are concerned that the steroids may be reacting with the anti depressant you take.

Jane , since we are not medically qualified may we suggest that you talk to your GP and Rheumatology team as soon as possible so that they can clarify the effectiveness of the combination of your prescribed drugs. Our bodies take time to settle in with any new drugs and your professional team needs to be made aware of your response to them.

You mention that your usual coping mechanisms don't seem to be helping so as well as some general information I attach a link of mindfulness which you might find interesting

We are here to support you and if you want to talk to someone then our Helpline 0800 5200 520 is open Monday to Friday 9.00 - 6.00.

Meanwhile do browse round the discussion and activities on the community pages - there is lots going on especially in the Living with Arthritis section.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

Firstly, don't stop taking the steroids. It's vital that they're tailed off slowly under medical guidance.

Secondly, if your rheumatologist was aware of all other meds and supplements you take, for anything, I doubt they'd have prescribed steroids in the first place.

Thirdly, check with your local pharmacist for any potential interactions.

If all is well, just try to relax and go with the flow. If not, be guided by the docs.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright