Become a Member: Readers Say Hi

Options
2»

Comments

• biffo23
    biffo23 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi there,

A couple of months back I experienced pain walking downstairs from my knees. I didn’t pay much attention to it at the time. I thought something had not clicked in knee joint properly. Eventually the pain disappeared.

Then on returning home from a cruise and using airports I thought my knee was playing up again and my calf was swollen. The pain appeared to move from my knee to my hip and then lower calf on a daily basis. Eventually the pain rested in my hip and became excruciatingly painful.

I managed to get an appointment with my GP who ruled out a blood clot but thought arthritis and sent me for X-rays

Over a month after my first meeting with GP he has texted me to say “X-ray results shows wear and tear arthritis (Osteoarthritis).

That was it. No advice re treatment / exercise. What I should or shouldn’t do. What pain I am in now? Is this normal?

Luckily my pain has subsided.Over the last month I have used Voltarol, ice packs and paracetamol and the pain in my hip has almost disappeared. So I assume I had an Arthritic attack. Will these occur regularly? How can you plan vacations/ trips not knowing if another attack might happen. Will these attacks become longer?

Male 70 yrs of age. Fairly active

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    Options

Hi @biffo23

welcome to the online community. So having been given a diagnosis of osteoarthritis by your GP you have not received any further advice or treatment or exercise suggestions. Let me give you some pointers to start with

This one relates to exercise

Also we have lots of very experience members on here who I am sure will be able to share their experiences with you. Be sure to ask any questions you like and I hope you find some support that helps you

Best Wishes

Sharon

• Susieblue65
    Options

Hi I’m new to here, my arthritis as really got painful, now stuffing from sciatica and it’s awful, I do the alternative medicine route. Any advice please? Xx

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Good afternoon @Susieblue65 It's great to meet you,

You have arthritis, including your neck which is becoming more painful, added to that is sciatica.

We can help with pain management, this link is quite comprehensive and if you scroll down to self help there are ideas for relief without using medication.

and here is information on complimentary pain relief

Personally I do neck exercises every day and because they can be done anywhere I do them a few times each day and I find it really helps. I also use a wheat bag, mine is shaped like a collar and so is good for the neck and it fastens with velcro so it's easy to use at night when watching a bit of TV. Added to that it can be used anywhere else you need it too.

Sciatica (link to NHS) causes pain through a trapped nerve - the heat works well there too. You may want to post about that in Living with Arthritis for specific help and do take a look at some of the discussions too, I'm sure you will both find help and be able to give support to your fellow members who need it, just a word of sympathy can mean so much and if you can offer help it's fantastic.

Take care

Yvonne