Jcoop
Jcoop Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi can anyone help with suggestions for pain relief at night

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hello @Jcoop and welcome to the online community,

I see that you are newly diagnosed with PSA and would like some suggestions for pain relief at night. I'm sure other members will come forward with helpful suggestions, and you also might like to look at a recent thread which discusses this. The poster is talking about knee and hip pain, but there might be some ideas for you too. Perhaps you could join in the conversation?

The Versus Arthritis website has a page on managing pain that looks at a variety of ways to help. I hope you find something useful there too.

Best wishes,

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691
    edited 9. Jun 2022, 13:30

Hi @Jcoop

You could ask to be referred to a pain management clinic. I was referred to a pain management consultant by my rheumatology clinic. I had a video call with a consultant anaesthetist who went through my history and prescribed capsaicin cream and Ralvo lidocaine patches to help with my PsA. I can't get the capsaicin cream at present but use the Ralvo patches when needed and they certainly work for both my knee and back. The patch releases lidocaine over a 12 hour period so if my back is sore I put it on before going to bed.

Unfortunately I still wake most nights at around 03:30 - 04:30. My hands and wrists are always aching when I wake. I raised this with a rheumatologist I saw and he said that that was quite common. He said that there's a school of thought that it's because the body's natural steroid production is at its lowest during the night.

• Jcoop
    Jcoop Member Posts: 3

Thanks I’m on Amitriptyline and take two in the evening , I was on tramodol but that didn’t seem to help. The problem is I can’t take codine . I’ll speak to my doctor again . I think if I got a good nights sleep I’d feel a lot better