Advice needed re Spontaneous Osteonecrosis of the Knee

I have osteoarthritis in both knees, and was recently diagnosed with a condition that sometimes occurs in tandem with arthritis called Spontaneous Osteonecrosis of the Knee (also known by the slightly comical acronym SONK.)

I was wondering if anyone who has or has had SONK would be willing to share their experiences and advice.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• pmas
    pmas Member Posts: 43

I don’t have a problem with knees, but in September 21 I was diagnosed with idiopathic AVN (avascular necrosis or osteo necrosis) of both hips, together with severe bone on bone arthritis.

I had only been diagnosed with mild arthritis 18 months before, so progression was quite rapid. My consultant said that I was beyond steroid injections or core decompression and the only choice was bilateral total hip replacement.

So I had my right hip replaced in February this year, and the left replaced in April - both within 11 weeks (NHS). Physio for both hips is quite intense but I’m determined to get back to normal.

It’s quite hard to find out much information about AVN - hope someone can give you some advice/support about SONK.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

I have no advice about spontaneous (although I have a neighbour whose son had it)

My own daughter has ANV left hip (core decompression) and right shoulder (now replaced) as a result of chemotherapy. Surgeries at 18 and 19 respectively.

I used this site for advice:

If you haven't already found it it's UK based.

Toni x