Worried about interactions and side effects

Options

Hi

Recent diagnosis currently on steroids (2 weeks in) and just picked up prescription for hydroxychloroquine but on reading information leaflet I am now concerned about how it will react with my other medications as I’m on Metformin and Flecainide. BNF says severe interaction with Flecainide. So worried that I will be causing more problems and don’t know what to do, very frightening and confused and don’t know where to turn to :-(

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Presumably your rheumatologist knew about your other medications? Sometimes, we just have to take a calculated risk. However, I do think it should be checked out before you take any. Ring your rheumatology helpline or, at least, check with your local pharmacist. Good luck and let's know how it goes.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 709
    Options

Hi @Mini03

I think you are right to question this. This is from the WebMD site in the US

Medical warning:

Very Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects and are usually not taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.

I am on Flecainide after suffering atrial fibrillation last May. The cardiologist put me on Edoxaban, Flecainide and Verapamil. At home after discharge I happened to read my discharge letter and the cardiologist had written :-

'The UK manufacturer advises against the chronic use of NSAIDs with Edoxaban; however, if required monitor these patients for excessive bleeding.'

But he hadn't stopped my NSAID - he hadn't even said anything to me to this effect. I couldn't get hold of the cardiac consultant so I called my GP surgery and spoke to the resident pharmacist for clarification. She said I was to immediately stop my NSAIDs and couldn't fathom why he didn't.

I eventually spoke to the cardiologist and suggested to him that it would be better if he'd spoken to rheumatology about this and his response was 'yes probably in an ideal world, but that's not the way the NHS works'.

• Mini03
    Mini03 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi thanks for the advice I have spoken to the rheumatologist nurse and she has advised me not to take it and is informing consultant. Just glad I looked further into it before starting them. Just staying on steroids for moment which 3 weeks in seem to be helping and have reduced swelling and pain but know this is not a long term solution. Thanks again for the great advice.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Well done @Mini03 for taking the initiative, getting it sorted and potentially averting something nasty.

@jamieA , that's breathtakingly arrogant and dismissive from your consultant. I thought 'patient notes' came into it. Obviously not, for some.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 709
    Options

Hi @Mini03

I'm glad you have received an answer. I was put on sulfasalazine as my starter drug when I was initially diagnosed with PsA and still take 3gms per day. There's no listed reaction with Flecainide for that. There's are a number of online websites where you can check drug interactions such as www.drugs.com and WebMD.

Hi @stickywicket

Unfortunately I've come across a number of arrogant consultants in the last two years - including at least 3 rheumatologists - with my last rheumatologist particularly so. I've a friend whose daughter has just become an NHS consultant and she rages about the number of arrogant, middle aged, middle class - mainly men - consultants she comes across. What she terms 'old school' status seekers.

• Mini03
    Mini03 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Thank you for your comments. I have been given information on Sulfasalazine so don’t know if they will suggest that next !

• Mavic
    Mavic Member Posts: 12
    Options

I was on that drug it was awful