Methotrexate pen

Options

Can anyone tell me how the training takes for self administering the methotrexate injections please?

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Dear Barbeire

Thank you for your posting on the forum where you have asked about self administering the methotrexate injections. I think you are asking how long the training takes to do this. We do not have a specific answer for this but you'll usually be given your methotrexate injection by a health professional. They will show you how to inject yourself using either a syringe or injector pen, so you can do it at home. Talk to the health professional to let them know if you think you will have difficulty injecting yourself or any questions you may have about this. You could also post on our ‘Living with Arthritis’ forum as others using the forum may also be able to tell you their experiences of methotrexate injections.

We have information on methotrexate that you may find helpful and I have put a link below to this. I am unsure which type of arthritis you have but I have also included a link to the NRAS (National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society) website for their information and videos on using methotrexate.

Methotrexate

NRAS - Methotrexate

Versus Arthritis - Living with Arthritis Forum

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Kind Regards

Dawn

Helpline Advisor

• Caleb1981
    Caleb1981 Member Posts: 33
    Options

Hi @babeire

I know you posted this a while back and are probably sorted with injections now.

I am terrified of needles but decided to switch to injections to eliminate the gastric side effects of tablets.

My health board no longer offer injection train but simply provide a link to a video, provided by the manufacturer - see link below. Unfortunately the first warning on the video is that you shouldn’t attempt to inject yourself until a medical professional has trained you! That’s a debate for a different day 🤦🏻‍♂️.

on a positive note, I found the video useful and I was able to inject myself with no real issues. My only advice would be to keep the yellow cap pointing upwards and remove it gently. I had it ‘upside down’ the first time and some liquid dripped onto my skin. Direct skin contact is not advised.

Hope this helps 👍.