Knee Replacement

Options

Until I have this op done. Is regular exercise encouraged. Also would a knee brace help

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Dear Dmac1

Thank you for your forum post. You have asked if regular exercise is encouraged until you have your knee replacement. Also about whether a knee brace would help you. You could speak to your orthopaedic surgeon who may suggest the best exercises to do to strengthen the muscles at the front of your thigh (quadriceps), which often become weak with arthritis. The stronger these muscles are before surgery, the quicker your recovery is likely to be. Exercises that involve raising your foot against gravity are best. Alternatively, a physiotherapist can also advise you on the best exercises to do, but you’ll need to build them into your daily routine to get the most benefit from them.

Some people find that knee braces help. You can buy knee braces from sports shops and chemists, but you should speak to your doctor or physiotherapist first, as they might be able to provide braces or recommend the best one for you.

I hope that this information is helpful to you. I have also put a link below to our information on Knee Replacement Surgery.

Knee Replacement Surgery

Kind Regards

Dawn

Helpline Advisor