Knee arthritis

Options

I was diagnosed in March 2017 with 3 compartmental knee arthritis , in 2019 my GP got me appointment with orthopedic surgeon I turned up for appointment didn't get to see surgeon I saw orthopedic practioner she said surgeon wouldn't even see me because of my weight .my knee is so painful this morning I thought I wasn't going to walk again just wondered if anyone else has had same experience.

Comments

• Moira
    Moira Member Posts: 88
    Options

It seems really nasty and to me shows lack of understanding of what is involved with arthritis - even by medics - and they should know better!

You can't do lots of exercise with severe pain - I had to give up my static bike (and dancing) because I could no longer pedal it without intense pain. When I got off it after 3 miles I couldn't even stand and had to prop myself up!

I too have a weight problem and I'm told I need to loose some weight. But exercise is limited because of the pain, even with my strong painkillers which I only take before exercise -although I try and work through as much as I can. I do 1/2 hour gardening and I'm in agony with my lower back, so have to rest before I can do more.

I'm also told that I'm not eating enough but need to loose weight !!!! It's a no win situation. Luckily, even although I was overweight, several years ago my surgeon did operate on my knee. But it's not so good and the other one needs doing. I'm supposed to have hand surgery later in the year - will they ask me to loose weight for that?

Is it too horrible to wish arthritis on some of these nurses and doctors to let them see what it is really like? They may have the theory but until they walk in our shoes I don't think they will understand. They just let us suffer - what kind of doctors are they and where is their hypocratic oath? It makes me furious.

All you can do is eat a healthy diet and do the Versus Arthritis exercises videos. Then tell them what you do. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Julie2258
    Julie2258 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you Moira I'm glad I'm not alone in this as you say its hard to exercise because it's affecting my hip and back on the opposite side I just dread getting out of bed in a morning but I will look at the exercises on here and once again thank you.