hyaluronic acid

In no way am I giving advice--just saying what my own experience has been in case it may be helpful. I'm 67. Osteoarthritis in the knees runs in the family. My sister and mother have had three of their four knees replaced. A year ago, my right knee was so bad (diagnosed as a "kissing" lesion or contusion) that I couldn't walk longer than 30 minutes without my knee becoming so stiff and painful that I needed to use ice and/or a heating pad. I was walking with a cane, unsteady on my feet and consulting a doctor regarding knee replacement in the months to come. In the meantime I got a cortisone injection and a hyaluronic acid injection. I also started taking one hyaluronic acid capsule every day. One year later, to my utter astonishment, I am pain free. I can go about my normal daily activities, go shopping, walk around a museum, etc. without any pain or need for ice or my heating pad afterward. My knee isn't perfect, but I can live with it. It's the last thing I would have predicted a year ago. I know from my hip replacement surgery 22 years ago that the effects of cortisone injections don't last anywhere near a year, so I can only conclude that it's the hyaluronic acid injection and daily capsules. I wanted to share this.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 669

Hi @carl_h

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

You have a family history of osteoarthritis and a year ago thought that you’d need a knee replacement but following taking the medication you’ve listed you are now pain free. What a great relief that must have been.

Thank you for sharing your story and I hope that your current state of health endures.

I hope you find having joined the forum of benefit. Please do have a look around the rest of the community and see if there are any tips for you, maybe in the Living in Arthritis area.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• BerylM
    BerylM Member Posts: 3

This is interesting. I've taken a lot of supplements over the years and overall have kept well until the latter years when in 2017 I had a knee replacement. I frequent the Earth Clinic site a lot and they recommend taking three capsules a day of 100grms (300 grams) of double strength Hyaluronic Acid a day, and apparently people are experiencing relief from arthritic pain. But there's not a lot written about it on this site. Has anyone had any success taking it?