My Shoulder Replacement

Options

Hello Everyone,

I had my shoulder replacement surgery just under week ago. Although an NHS patient, I had the surgery in a private hospital. All went well and I was discharged the following day. I saw physio’s who ran through the exercises which I’m supposed to do 4 times a day. I’d done lots of homework as to what to expect, and my husband has taken time off work to look after me, as I’m nearly 69.

I’m surprised at the pain, unfortunately I already take morphine for hip pain, also waiting for a replacement. So my choice of painkillers is limited, mainly anti-inflammatory’s, whic I’m not sure are working! I’m trying to do my exercises which are difficult and painful but I know have to be done. At least I’m right handed, but dressing and washing takes ages even with help. Even pulling pants up is ridiculously hard. Decided to go without!

It’s frustrating not knowing if all is OK. I hurt it this morning and don’t know if something is wrong or not. I don’t know how long to keep the dressing on for, I still keep it dry though. I still have it in a sling but I move it around a bit. I also feel really tired all the time, it’s a shame as I was hoping to feel really good having had surgery!

I’m seeing my consultant and physio in a weeks time and hoping for reassurance. Thankyou to you all for allowing me to reach out. Hoping I won’t be so low next time.

Ann x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/50176/total-reverse-shoulder-replacement-feb-2019/p1 This is a thread in which @crinkly1 documented her post op progress after shoulder replacement. As I recall, it wasn't entirely smooth progress but she really persevered with her exercises.. Do mention it to your surgeon when you see him, though.

@lindalegs also documented her shoulder replacement. Again, I seem to remember it was not all smooth progress but, again, she stuck with the exercises and achieved success. I hope you will too.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options

Hi @AnnR Ann

I'm not surprised you're still in pain as it's extremely early days for you. Perhaps you're expecting too much too soon. You must be kind to yourself as you've gone through much trauma and you have a lot of healing to do.

Doing your exercises is paramount to the joint's mobility but please try not to overdo them or push yourself too far. It's very important to do them routinely, as you've been advised by the physios, but be aware that your shoulder should not hurt for longer than 30 minutes after exercising. Rest is very important too.

If I remember correctly my dressing came off 2 weeks after surgery and the nurse did it at my GPs. I had gentle exercises to do on being discharged and then I went back to hospital for a physiotherapy session 6 weeks after the operation and then went on a regular basis for over a year. The exercises build up over time allowing your tissues to mend and then you work on muscles and mobility, gradually regaining strength and movement range.

I think you'll find that the pain will diminish slowly and each day will see some improvement. Please let us know how you go on when you've seen your consultant next week.

(Thank you @stickywicket for mentioning my and Crinkly's threads.)

Love, Legs xx

Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 148
    Options

Hello Ann.

I totally agree with Legs. I wonder where you researched the surgery and were led to expect immediate results. Shoulder replacement is a big operation and a complex one so you should expect significant discomfort afterwards although perhaps not the same kind of pain as before. The sling is intended to limit movement, especially in the first weeks as soft tissues begin to heal.

Do heed Legs' comments about exercises - they should not be followed to such an extent that they increase your pain. You know your own body so heed its responses and be patient with it. We are all different and mend at different rates so physiotherapists set 'average' goals until they get to know your individual capacity.

I also look forward to hearing how your coming appointment goes.

Be kind to yourself - Crinkly

• AnnR
    AnnR Member Posts: 52
    Options

Thankyou crinkly, lindalegs and @sticky wicket for your helpful comments.

I’m now on day 7 and feeling less vulnerable and more positive about things. Pain is slightly less and I’m doing the exercises with less vigour and listening to my body. There is definitely an improvement and I feel more confident. I’ve got a bath lift so had my first bath today, keeping the shoulder dry, it was bliss. I’ve also got a net sling which I can shower with and keep the other dry. Saves having to hold my arm all the time. Front fastening bras are a godsend too.

After exercises I’m putting ice on the joint and allowing it to calm back down. Your comments were so right and I needed to restock. I’m looking forward to my physio and Consultant appointment next week.

Ann x

• lindalegs
    Options

Hi @AnnR,

You do sound so much better than you did a few days ago. I had the type of dressing which was a clear plastic actually stuck right over the wound. They were trying it out at the time so I'm not sure if that's what you have. The dressing meant there were no stitches nor clips and the nurse simply pulled it off. Although we kept it dry when showering it was okay if it got splashed so I found it a real boon!

I have back fastening bras but I attach magnetic clip extensions which find each other, I fasten it at the front and swivel it round to the back. When not wearing these I use crop top bras with no fastenings at all and step into them. It's a but of a struggle to got over my bottom, which is bigger than my boobs, but it's very comfortable to wear once on!

Anyway I need my beauty sleep so keep up the good work Ann and I'll look out for your progress as you heal and move forward with your brand new shoulder.

Love, Legs xx

Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Awww @AnnR

You are doing just fine! My own daughter had her shoulder replaced at 19 a few years ago now and has done really well since. She was in a great deal of pain like yourself initially, but now she can lift her arm RIGHT above her head! She was only expecting pain to be better not the extra movement to be so good.

She saw a physio prior to surgery and at the hospital the following morning - scary eh? Like yourself she had been on heavy duty meds which means she had a tolerance and the extra pain didn't respond.

She was very very tired for a long time after surgery it really mucks your sleep up doesn't it?

Bets of luck just take it steady and you'll get there ((()))

Toni xx

• AnnR
    Options

Hello Everyone, I’m now on day 10 since my shoulder replacement and I’m pleased it’s all going well. The pain is virtually non existent even at night. I’m exercising 3-4 times a day and most are getting easier and I have increased movement daily.

The net sling is great for showering or bathing, but I’m still keeping it dry. I can now shower and dress myself although bras , even front fastening, are difficult. It’s difficult to pull them down at the back, same with pulling up pants!!

My husband goes back to work on Monday so I’m on my own. I’m confident though. It’s not been the easiest of operations, definitely worse before it gets better but hopefully it will be worth it.

Ann x

• crinkly
    Options

I'm so pleased that things are already getting easier and that you sound more positive.

Long may this progress continue!

• AnnR
    Options

Thankyou crinkly, I’m feeling good. It’s now 2 weeks since surgery for a full shoulder replacement. Saw physio today and I have progressed well with a reasonable of movement. The pain, is in general, non existent and hurts only when I exercise or catch it wrong. It goes away straight away. I’m now weaning off the sling and putting it on after exercises or doing something strenuous. The shoulder now needs movement to avoid it freezing up.

I have a new set of exercises to follow and will gradually increase small movements during the day. I had it X-ray’d and it looks good. The wound has healed well, dissolving stitches so I can now bath and shower. I can also go to th the swimming pool and do exercises there which will help with my hip ( I’m waiting for a hip replacement).

Things are good. Hope this encourages anyone waiting for a shoulder replacement. If a yo has any questions I’ll be please to try to answer. Thankyou to everyone who encouraged and gave me confidence. Things that really helped, a net sling for showering, a small plastic cape to keep the wound dry, a supply of ready ripped up toilet roll (it’s impossible to rip toilet paper off with one hand), long handled sponge and stretchy baggy t shirts and skirts with elasticated waist to make dressing easier. Go commando if you can as it’s very difficult pulling up knickers. A husband on call 🤣 really helps with the ready meals.

All the best to you all

Bye Ann

• AnnR
    Options

Hi Everyone, I’m would particularly like to ask @lindalegs a question. When I saw my physio last week she said to wean off the sling in particularly stop wearing it at night and use my arm for as much as I can. The Consultant was going to take it off me altogether!,

I’m only doing non weight bearing exercises, but I’m quite concerned as I’m unable to lift my arm up without a lot of pain. I’ve gone back to doing the more basic exercise and I’m thinking of wearing the sling a bit more as I haven’t been using it at all for 3 days. I’m quite comfortable at night without it and I’m sleeping OK. I noticed you used your sling for 6 weeks at night.

The physiotherapist was concerned about using the sling too much as the joint can easily freeze up and then takes a lot more to get moving. I’m a bit confused between the physio and the Consultant. I’m going to follow my instincts, and use it more and go back to the earlier exercises.

What’s your thoughts?

Ann x

• crinkly
    Options

Hello AnnR

Lindalegs is away from home at the moment and asked me to let you know that she will reply to you as soon as she is back. She expects to be home on 29th.

• AnnR
    Options

Thankyou @crinkly thats really kind of you. X

Ann

• lindalegs
    Options

Hi @AnnR, I'm now returned from my holiday and can log on to the VA site once again.

I also wanted to check my daily diary I wrote at the time of my TRSR to see how I was managing so I can answer you as accurately as possible.

It appears that 6 days post surgery I went without my sling for the afternoon and after that increased my time without it until I wasn't wearing it at all during the day. I have many other physical limitations with my joints and because of this I did want to wean myself off the sling sooner rather than later. If I felt my shoulder needed resting I would just sit in an easy chair and lean back so there was no weightbearing on the joint and this relieved any ache I had. Then as soon as I felt able and had the urge I would just get back on with things.

Regarding sleeping in my sling I did this to the letter of the physios instruction and they told me to wear it for 6 weeks at night. Maybe they've suggested it's okay for you to go without your sling because it's 2 years on since I had my replacement and ideas are changing all the time. If it were me (and you may well be doing this already) I would try sleeping without it and if you were unduly uncomfortable have it at hand to put on.

The exercises I followed for the first 6 weeks were just the gentle ones they gave you on a leaflet to take home with you on discharge from In-patients and they also povided me with a pulley to lift my arm but only a gentle extercise again. The more strenuous ones started 6 weeks after the operation and they were to help build up the muscles.

We all heal at different paces and from I can see you seem to be doing very well. If you're unsure of anything give your physio a ring because I'm sure they will advise you accordingly as they are working with you to get the best from your new prothesis. I had a great team and cannot fault the follow-up care post surgery. Keep up the good work, you're doing fine and I hope you're still being kind to yourself as it is still early days.

I hope this helps.

Love, Legs xx

Love, Legs x
  • AnnR
    Options

Thankyou @lindalegs for replying to my query. Wow you were much further ahead than me in some ways, whilst I accept everyone heals at different rates.

I’m now just over 3 weeks post op and I’m not using the sling at night at all, as advised by my physio. I do feel fairly comfortable but I do raise the top of the bed and have a cushion to protect the joint. How ever during the day, I have stopped using the sling progressively and it’s not too bad, but like you I need to rest ‘it’ occasionally. However although I’m attempting the exercises I still find it exceedingly painful with any upward and forward movement. I did ring the physio, but she is on annual leave, another physio I spoke to advised I go back to the hospital exercise which involves very slight movements. This to is hugely painful.

I’m due to see my own physio end of next week and I’m hoping for some advice. It’s such a shame as I felt I was progressing fairly steadily, but now just halted with this pain.

I hope you had a good holiday and I’m very grateful for you getting back to me. It is so helpful getting someone else’s recollections of the same op, even if it was a while ago, it still helps and I thank you.

Love Ann xx

• lindalegs
    Options

Hello @AnnR

I was wondering how you are after another week?

I know Mr Legs used to help me to do my shoulder exercises so that I might get the best range of movement from my new joint. My physio suggested he take an active part because my hand deformities restricted me using a 'stick' to help me. He would gently push my shoulder to the range suggested till I asked him to stop. When the range was up to what I could manage and when it plateaued I began to work on my own with the muscle strengthening exercises which my physio had given me.

My physio, incidentally, went through any new exercises and filmed him doing them with me using my phone so I had a visual reminder. This was extremely helpful.

Let me know how your appointment goes when you see them this week, please, I'd be interested to know. 😊

Love, Legs xx

Love, Legs x
  • AnnR
    Options

Hi @lindalegs ,

Thankyou for asking. Yes, well I’m nearly 5 weeks post op and saw the physio last Friday. He thought my range was good and I ran through the exercises and a couple upward and forward movement ones we amended to make them more comfortable. Same movement just a different way. I’m using my arm for most things during the day, obviously full stretches and lifting are not possible at the moment.

My physio sows me the exercises and he links them into a physio site which shows short video’s of each exercise and shows me how many reps I should do. I don’t find them easy, but I know I have to persevere. I’m still doing them all passively, although I’m being a bit naughty picking things up with that arm that I shouldn’t!

I’m now being transferred to my local physio,which is easier to travel to. I was interested to find out that it takes 6-12 weeks for soft tissue to repair, which is why I shouldn’t attempt too much without assistance from my other arm or a wall to slide up. It’s a bit painful when I do exercises but I ice it after and it calms down. My consultant was pleased with my progress.

Sorry I took so long to answer, my hubby has tested positive to Covid and need I say any more? I’ve been a bit busier than usual.

I hope you’re OK, sending you big hugs.

Love Ann xx

• lindalegs
    Options

Dear @AnnR

That's excellent and shows all is going well and as it should!

Sticking to your daily exercise routine is tedious and it takes willpower especially after the novelty has worn off! This is how I felt anyway. To help me count slowly and not rush I got a metronome on my phone to beat out the seconds otherwise my mind would drift off to fairyland and I'd forget where I was with the repeats. 🙄

I'm sure we're all a bit naughty with doing things with our new shoulder that we're not supposed to but as long as it's comfortable, doesn't hurt and we're not being silly then where's the harm ...though I don't think your physio would agree!

Sorry your hubby has Covid, that's a bit of bad timing for you both. I do hope it's a mild dose.

Love, Legs xx

Love, Legs x
  • AnnR
    Options

Hi @lindalegs ,

What a good idea for doing your exercises. I find I need to really relax and let my shoulder ‘drop’ and do the movements with my shoulder down and relaxed. You’re right that the exercises get a bit tedious but I really do notice a slight improvement every day.

My hubby is fine apart from lost his sense of taste! I’ve had a heavy cold but still testing negative. It’s funny we’ve forgotten the summer colds we’ve always had, now we immediately think it’s Covid!

I hope all is well with you and you’re coping with this heat. We’ve got fans going in our main rooms, but whenever I feel real hot I look at our dog and wonder how he’s coping. We have a super large Alaskan Malamute.

Love Ann xx

• lindalegs
    Options

Unlike your doggie @AnnR I love this weather and enjoy wearing fewer clothes and sitting outdoors without needing a cardi! I always think we don't get many days like this so Mr Legs and I make the most of them by having our meals outside in the garden and fresh air. I do appreciate that lots of folk don't enjoy the heat and it's too much for some.

This weekend is Mr Legs' birthday and the family are coming to help us celebrate. Unfortunately our eldest son and wife have Covid now so they've cancelled till they're all clear.

I'm really pleased you see progress each day with your new prosthesis and even if it's small it makes sticking to the exercises all worthwhile! I hope your cold disappears and Mr AnnR is better really soon! And give your big dog an ice cube from me! 😊

Love, Legs xx

Love, Legs x
  • AnnR
    Options

I hope you had a lovely birthday celebration @lindalegs for Mr. Legs. You’ve certainly had and continue to have some lovely weather so I can imagine you eating outside most days. My hubby is now better and back at work and my cold did turn out to be Covid. It quickly cleared and I only have a bit of a cough now.

I’m now 6 weeks post op and I can now drive and do virtually everything. I’m still exercising every day and my exercises involve using my own body weight to move my arm. I think I will soon move over to using bands and starting to strengthen the muscles.

Looking back now I can see how tremendously helpful this site has been, and certain individuals (you know who you are) have been a rock to me and given me confidence. To those people I send my biggest thanks and my biggest hugs. You’ve taken me through this and I’ve come out the other end happy and confident.

My next big hurdle will be my hip replacement. Who knows when!! I’m having another X-ray in September to reassess my joint. I’m struggling to mobilise now so I’m just trying to remind someone I’m still here!! I’ve never been the sort of person to sit and do nothing. I’ve also asked my Dr for a referral to the Sports Centre. Anyone can apply, and it gives you 12 weeks free and a personal trainer to help with mobility. You can also get one for Weight Watchers or Slimming World to help with weight management. Just ask. It’s there so go on and ask.

All the best @lindalegs and everyone who’s followed our experiences, hope it’s helped.

Love Ann x

• crinkly
    Options

Well done indeed!

I hope the strengthening stage goes as well as your immediate recovery has done but do continue to take things steadily and allow the muscles long enough to adjust to each new step before pushing ahead for more as this is a time when it's easy to overstretch yourself. Doing so could mean going back to resting damaged muscles until they recover yet again and that would be exceptionally frustrating.

I'm sure that 'Slow and Steady' is the key phrase and, three years on from my op, I have suddenly discovered that I can actually reach significantly further behind my back! I thought I had reached my particular limits long ago so this is a very encouraging surprise and a great recommendation for getting on with life by being sensible but not over cautious about the prosthetics.

Wishing you well and hoping the hip can be replaced soon and give you the same degree of freedom.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Now @AnnR

You must do a 'blog' like this with your hip too these threads are just so helpful for people who are about to have surgery or have recently had it and like you are wondering if their progress is 'normal'!

You have done really well😊

• AnnR
    Options

Thankyou @frogmorton and @crinkly for your encouragement and support.

Ann x

• TheQuine29
    Options

Hi I am new to this site. I broke the top of my humerus over 20 years ago and since then I have lived with an internal fixater. I had wonderful treatment and physiotherapy last about a year. My movement has not been restricted despite my rotator cuff needing to be repaired after some damage.

After this 20 years during which I have blessed the NHS. I found recently that I was having some inflammation and I woke up one morning unable to move my arm above my waist. My rotator cuff had collapsed. I'm told that I require a Reverse Shoulder joint prosthesis and that there is a two year wait. I'm in pain but with pain killers it's bearable. I'm going privately for physio. Apparently the deltoid muscles take over from the rotator cuff if you are given this kind of joint. Meanwhile I have built up my muscles and I have got back some good movement. The movement I get after the operation will not be much better than what I have at present. I do wonder whether I should have this operation as I seem to have worked and got reasonable movement. I can keep the pain bearable and I think the only plus of having the op is being pain free. Having had 2 knee replacements I have some idea of what life will be like after the op.

I have plenty of time to make up my mind and who knows what will happen between now and then.

• lindalegs
    Options

First of all @AnnR this is brilliant as you have come such a long way in a very short time! When you consider how you were when you started this thread, to now, there is almost no comparison as you're like a different woman! It just shows what perseverence and listening to your physios and your body can achieve. And you're not fully healed yet so give yourself a pat on the back ......if you can reach without injuring youself, if not get hubby to do it for you! (I'm glad to hear he's recovered by the way!) A big well done Mrs AnnR !

Secondly @TheQuine29 I think you're right in taking your time to consider a TRSR and perhaps during that time you might do some research on the op ...assuming you haven't already. Fo me, it was worth having the surgery because my pain has gone altogether though having had rheumatoid for 37 years my deltoid muscles were and are still in a very poor shape so I've lost some movement.

Good luck with your decision and should you need help from forum members just ask and we will try to answer any questions you may have.

Love, Legs xx

Love, Legs x