Leg Muscle Strengthening - Physio recommends exercise bike

I had a telephone discussion with a rheumatology physio a few weeks back about helping my leg muscles. I'm back to walking good distances with my dog but I do so with a pronounced limp. The upshot of that is my left calf and thigh muscles are significantly smaller than my right - about 2cms for my calf diameter. He recommended I try an exercise bike due to it's low joint impact. To be honest I tried one many years ago and found it the most boring thing in the world. I've had a look into what's on offer these days and wondered about a recliner exercise bike - at least I could be doing other things - like watching TV or using my laptop - without falling over when doing the exercises. The other thought I had was a step through electric bike that I could use on the canal and cycle paths locally. I used to cycle about 150kms a week but haven't done so for about 10-15 years so I'm no novice cyclist.

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of either of these they could give me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Obviously, not me, @jamieA , but, I''ve mentioned a few times on here that Mr SW bought an exercise bike before his THRs once golf and long walks were out.

He hated every minute too but, to his credit, built up to three 20 min sessions daily. He endured it by watching YouTube videos on his mobile phone with it propped up on the handlebars. (Yes Minister seemed to feature a lot.) He hasn't been near it since.

A friend bought an electric bike once he hit his mid-80s to keep up with his younger wife. He loved it.

There is someone on here who has/had a recumbent bike. I can't remember who. Having watched many of these over the years on Venice Beach, I'd say try before you buy. They look to me as if they might stretch some bits of us a bit more than they were willing.

A good cycle shop might be your best bet but I do hope someone with more experience of bikes can help.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • N1gel
    N1gel Member Posts: 160

Might have been me? I've got a semi recumbent foldaway exercise bike, I still do 10 miles a week in 2 x30 minute sessions just to keep my joints moving. It certainly helped when I had knee ligament problems back in January and I've kept good muscle tone, additional benefits include lowered blood pressure and a sense of being able to do something positive about things.

I listen to the radio on mine, I think TV etc would be too distracting? I've also got it next to the window so I can watch the real cyclists get wet and cold😅

Be prepared to spend a few hundred pounds. Don't get one that uses friction resistance - a waste of money. Magnetic or Flywheel resistance is best. Get one with a digital readout so you can monitor/log your performance.

There's quite a few reputable websites doing comparisons.

A real recumbent trike is great fun but will set you back a couple of thousand!

• crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 144

If you live in an area that has off-road cycle tracks (eg disused railway routes) you might even be tempted to return to outdoor cycling as I did when OA reduced exercise to low impact stuff. These trails are relatively level so at 77 I am still riding a pedal cycle - admittedly with multiple gears and front suspension. With one leg stronger than the other I spend some of the time persuading the weaker leg to do most of the work and regular riding certainly helps keep enough muscle tone to support my dodgy knees. It also provides a feel good factor that is hard to find otherwise.

My spine is increasingly affected by OA so walking the dog is no longer possible and I would not attempt to ride on public roads but this leisure cycling feeds my love of being outside and enjoying time with my husband. We use a towbar-mounted cycle rack and carry just enough cash for a rewarding cuppa if there happens to be a cafe on our route.

For both of us (my OH is almost 80 and has a heart condition that responds well to sensible exercise) the option of electric bikes is tempting but rekindling our former cycling habit after a long gap has been great fun and we will carry on as we are for as long as it is pleasurable, regardless of how many lycra-clad experts overtake us!

Enjoy whatever form of cycling you choose................... ☕️