Fatigue with osteoarthritis

Options
AnnaBee
AnnaBee Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi,

I’ve just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. In fact that’s not entirely correct, I was diagnosed as a teenager but the symptoms disappeared for about 30 years. As well as joint pain, I’m feeling really fatigued. The rheumatologist said there’s no treatment for fatigue and doesn’t think it’s related to the arthritis. I’ve noticed this Versus Arthritis website acknowledges some people with osteoarthritis report fatigue. Is anyone else experiencing this and, if so, do you have any coping strategies?

Thanks

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @AnnaBee

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

So you have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis, although you were diagnosed with this when you were a teenager but the symptoms disappeared for about 30 years. You are suffering with joint pain and fatigue. The rheumatologist does not think the fatigue is caused by the arthritis and that there is no treatment for this. You are wondering if anyone else experiences this and if anyone has any coping strategies for it.

That's very interesting how it disappeared when you were a teenager, do the doctors have any ideas why it would do this? Now that you are a member of the community you will find that other members are able to comment on your post and I'm sure they will be able to give you lots of hints and tips with how they cope with their fatigue. Fatigue can definitely be debilitating and difficult for others to understand if they have never experienced it.

I have attached some information below that I think could be helpful, please have a look when you have a chance.

Please do continue joining in and posting on the community. We are always looking to make new friends.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• Whiskey26
    Whiskey26 Member Posts: 88
    Options

Hi @AnnaBee I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in both hips back in October 2020. I have terrible fatigue, that I've had since my diagnosis. I walk with a stick and it takes me such a long time to walk even small distances, that I get tired very easily. I'm so exhausted, sometimes when it gets to the afternoon I have to lay down. It's the only place I can get comfortable and stretch out. I have been told, if I need to lay down, that's what I should do, so if you are able to do so, then I think you should do the same. I've tried to fight the fatigue and I never win. If I fall asleep, it must be because I need it and if I don't, then just the fact that you're laid down and resting, is maybe what you need.

• AnnaBee
    AnnaBee Member Posts: 3
    Options

I mentioned the fact it had disappeared to the rheumatologist. She didn’t Say anything. On thinking about it, I think the pain just went down to a bearable level and when it flared up it was written off as whiplash, sciatica or plantar fasciitis.

• Bee2
    Bee2 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hello AnnaBee,

i am the same regarding the fatigue, it goes against my grain to HAVE to lie down a lot too. I have had to learn to accept it. And we must listen to our bodies and do whats needed when necessary. Advice is to keep moving but when it hurts so bad I too simply must lie down I’m so tired out.

• Bee2
    Bee2 Member Posts: 10
    Options

...I find it very frustrating as it feels the days just drift by and I’ve done nothing much.

But I use YouTube to find good Meditations to keep my mind from getting too depressed about how my life is now. It does help me. The Power Of Now by Eckhart Tolle is a good book. Keeps the mind more focussed if you tend to overthink. All good wishes to you, hope this helps maybe a bit 🙂

• Moira
    Moira Member Posts: 88
    Options

Fatigue has been part of my arthritis for many years now. I eventually had to work part-time and then retire before my retiral age. I want to get back to hill walking, skating, contemporary dance, Scottish country dance. But I know it's a dream. So I can only dance in my head!!

I can just garden for 20 mins at a time and some days are better than others. I use CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) techniques to help and write a diary every day. The garden has been a blessing and I try to find something positive each day - sometimes difficult though in the Welsh rain.

To be honest I've got used to pain. I don't use painkillers all the time, as I don't want to become hooked, but there times when I do need them. So don't be worried if you do need to use them occasionally. I agree with Bee2. Listen to your body, don't push against it.

I used to want days when I could just do nothing, when I was younger, teaching full time, training others, writing materials and my hobby was dance. I used to yearn for time off. Now I have it. So try and make the most of it. I've taken up sketching again and am learning Welsh to keep the wee grey cells working. Duolingo is brilliant for learning a language (there are a huge number to choose from). It used up time. I do word puzzles in the paper - haven't tried Wordle yet. I also get books form the library.

I hope you can find something to suit you, to help. Don't fight the fatigue, it just makes it worse. Think that when younger you probably longed for more time and now you have it so find something you wanted to do and do it. Listen to your body.

Good luck.