Coping with pain

Options
Woofy
Woofy Member Posts: 277
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi. Recently been diagnosed with OA, and possible early onset of R A. I am currently taking medication, pain killers prescribed by my doctor, and now medication from the hospital. I am finding everything a bit too much right now. I don’t get much sleep, because the pain always seems to be worse whilst I rest. I’ve been told my meds may take up to 3 months to start working, and I am only on week 5. I am feeling really low and overwhelmed. Thank you.

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 770
    Options

Hello @Woofy welcome to the online community,

I see from your two posts that you have found it difficult to sleep because the pain seems worse when you rest. You have recently been diagnosed with OA and possibly early onset RA and that is a lot to take on board. Like many of us when we are first diagnosed it takes a while to readjust to not only dealing with the symptoms and the pain but also the life as we used to know it changing without having much control over it. It takes a while as you say for the medication to start to work and also for our mindsets to readjust. Life changes and is different and often new opportunities present themselves that you least expected. We can try to help by offering a friendly safe place to share your ups and downs, vent your frustration when your patience wears a bit thin and tell us your achievements like a better night's sleep!

I attach a few links which I hope you will find helpful

The second link has suggestions about an evening routine that might help with your sleep. Also the use of heat/cool pads which many members use to ease their pain. There are lots of tips about how members cope with everyday activities and we hope that you will browse round the community especially the Living with Arthritis section and join in with some of the discussions.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 277
    Options

Hi poppyjane

Thank you so much for the reply and the linky things. What you have said is exactly how I feel. Like I have been robbed. i do try to stay positive, but it is hard. All this Started in December, shortly after my third covid booster. I have always been very active, so this has hit me hard. I think I will find this forum helpful. Like minded people who understand. Thank you again. 😊