Rebel

Options

So this week I have my foot and hand xrays - I'm expecting them to be ok, though my synovial thingabob is at grade 3 on my right hand. Next week, I have a phone call with the rheumatology nurse to go through the procedure for taking methotrexate and I need to have yet another blood test because my red blood cells are teeny tiny (microcytosis). Could it be all the blood tests which are causing this 😅

Given we have to move more with arthritis, I have started walking my doggy again (he's been poorly and won't get any better, so the walks do us both good) and rejoined our local sports centre swimming scheme.

I've also invested in a copy of "The Rebel Badge Book", which is a badge book for adults. You can choose which badges to do, with 52 in volume 1. The team are in the process of putting together volume 2. I'm doing the adventure activities while I know I still can, so next week I'm doing an indoor sky dive. I haven't decided yet if I should do axe throwing or windsurfing after that.

There are more sedate badges, like 'Indoor Gardener' or 'Reader', so the book covers a range of abilities. Either way, I bought it as a way to keep my mind and body active. If anyone else fancies joining The Rebellion, look at www.rebelbadgebook.com

I won't apologise for being upbeat and positive, because my rheumatologist did say remaining positive was vital to my ability to cope with the diagnosis. She is right. When I looked at the other people in her waiting room, they had faces longer than an Icelandic summer day! I am determined not to be one of those people - after everything I've been through, I know life is too short to remain sad about my condition.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

I've never had my synovial thingumabob graded. Probably because they didn't have a test in the days when I still had some😉 I don't think blood tests can cause microcytosis but I think it's a form of anaemia(?) and I've been told RA can cause that. A quick course of iron tabs sorted me every time. Not a DIY option for us, though.

Well done, you, on getting active and, for heaven's sake don't apologise for 'being up beat and positive'. We all need more of it. We used to have some cracking threads on here. The Arthritic Songs/Carols/books were favourites. We had a M.A.S.H. unit. I think my favourite was when DD accidentally wrote of being on 'Tripe therapy' rather than 'triple'. We had a ball with that one. Alas, arthritis seems to be a rather serious matter now. Of course it has to be at times for all of us. I wasn't roaring with laughter while sitting abandoned on a hospital bed pan with a broken hp. But, hey, times and places.

I like the idea of your 'Rebel Badge Book'. Go for it. I think, personally, I'm a bit past even the sedate one unless they do a 'Fasten your own shoes' badge, a '400metres rollator shuffle' badge or a 'Make a lasagne in only 10 easy stages' badge. As I see it, daily life provides me with far more exercise opportunities than the able-bodied can dream of. Maybe they'll catch up with me in time.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • maudieB
    maudieB Member Posts: 6
    Options

Congratulations @TUL50 on your positive and upbeat post! The Rebel Badge Book sounds brilliant (saw it, bought it) and what a great idea it is. Arthritis can be very difficult to live with sometimes, physically and mentally but a positive attitude and occasional belligerence can be helpful so please, never apologise for being upbeat. I was actually feeling a bit down today (I’ve broken my wrist and am in plaster 🙄) but your post made me think - yes, I want to try that too! Indoor skydiving - have got to go for that. Thank you 🙏