Hi everyone question about covid

Options
B17Westie
B17Westie Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

My mum has just tested positive for covid. She's type 1 diabetic and is on 7.5mg methotrexate once a week for ra. She hasn't taken her methotrexate this week yet. She's had 2 vaccines and the booster. we've all come down with covid this week. Does she need to let the doctors know she has it and is there anything she can do to help? Obviously she's very concerned about it. Look forward to replies.many thanks

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 770
    Options

Hello @B17Westie welcome to you and your mum,

You have all have covid and are concerned about your mum since she has diabetes and takes methotrexate for RA.

There are treatments for people with RA who contract covid ( Molnupiravi or Lagevrio) so your thoughts about talking to your GP and/or local pharmacist are advisable. They will be able to establish your mum's health and if she requires any further medication and of course your peace of mind.

If you feel like talking it through with one of our Helpline team first - they are available on 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00 - 6.00.

Do let us know how you and your mum get on, I am sure there will be other members who would value hearing about it.

Best wishes to you all

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 136
    Options

I phoned 111 who booked a telephone appointment with the GP, the GP told me to call 119 as it was dealt with in a different system and 119 told me to call 111. Fortunately, early the next morning the covid medicines unit phoned me and sorted out a prescription of Paxlovid ( combination of nirmatrelvir and ritonavir)

• B17Westie
    Options

I don't know if she'll need anything...it doesn't seem too bad. She's had a cough all week and only tested positive today. Think we'll take each day as it comes. See what tomorrow brings

• B17Westie
    Options

Did you feel that you needed the prescription? Did you feel really poorly or was it just to take as a precaution?

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 136
    Options

I had spent most of Sunday night with a very dry cough - and that was really the only symptom. So I phoned for advice and as they were offering it thought it would be sensible