TKR three and a half weeks ago - what's normal?

Hi, I'd like to hear other people's experience - I don't have a feeling about whether I'm doing ok or not and not seeing anyone 'till the end of the month. I'm doing all the exercises ok. I'm walking without crutches in the house, one crutch outside. Pain is manageable. I do feel I lack stamina. Just made some hummus and it's knocked me out! And hummus is an easy thing to make! I'm having trouble sitting upright for long, e.g. going to a cafe for more than an hour or so. I told a friend that I couldn't go to her Ceilidh next week! I don't think she was expecting me to dance but just can't cope with the idea of a party. I need to go and water the garden...I will, but feeling knackered 🙄. Is all this normal or am I making a fuss?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

My recovery, from two TKR and a revision (after 27 years) was necessarily slow as I have RA everywhere but I do think (a) you're doing OK but (b) you're expecting too much of yourself. I recall @Lilymary saying on here that a doctor friend had once told her that orthopaedic surgeons were essentially medical carpenters. A TKR involves a lot of nasty tools. When the scar looks good there is still a huge amount of inner healing to take place plus the effects of the anaesthetic to eliminate from the body. Be gentle with yourself. Do the exercises, rest and fit in any minor chores only is you feel adequate to them. Check out what NHS says about recovery. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/knee-replacement/recovery/

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

While it may be routine, TKR is still really major surgery and your body is putting all its energy into healing, growing new bone into the implants etc. It's like the end result of a car crash, just without the car.

And frankly it's emotionally draining as well. I'm a tough old bird but even I had some tearful moments in the weeks after I got home when I realised just what my body had been put through, and the emotional stress can itself be physically draining.

So yes, you will feel tired for a long time. It's normal. Everyone heals at their own rate, but you must listen to your body (which you appear to be doing). Only you know what you feel up to, not your friends (even if their invitations are well intended), so it's ok to claim first dibs on your time and energy.

I had non-arthritis surgery a while back and friends invited us to a dinner party which I knew would get lively. I was really looking forward to it but on the day I knew I would turn into a pumpkin by 8.30 and want to go home, and would just be sitting there toughing it out till we could go home. So iI bottled out, with profuse apologies, and my OH went on his own.

So well done turning down the ceilidh. You did the right thing. I can't imagine anything worse than attending such a high energy event when you're still nursing a broken body.

The main thing is keep up with the exercises. My sister had two new knees before she was 60 after 30 years of teach aerobics. She was really committed to the exercises, so she got a lot of flexion back in both. But don't punish yourself for not being up to full speed. 3 1/2 weeks is very early days - you'll get there eventually.

• hamilton10
    hamilton10 Member Posts: 14

Thanks both. I'm now at five weeks and am seeing the surgeon this week which will be good as I just want to know if I'm doing ok. Going back to work feels a long way off although I'm doing quite a bit around the house and went for a walk today without any crutch. It's good to hear where other people are at and your experience of not wanting to go to a dinner party! Big social events feel a step too far!