Hydroxchloriquine

Options
Micky
Micky Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi,

ive been taking Hydroxychloriquine for around 3 weeks and have found pain level is extreme, my joints, in my hands, wrists, shoulders and ankles in particular. In the last few days I've had sore to touch sternum where it meets my ribs and throbbing painful legs, especially at night.

has anyone experienced this and Will this settle or should i be reporting it?

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 991
    Options

Hi @Micky and welcome to the online community,

You’ve been taking hydroxychloroquine for three weeks and your pain level has become extreme, particularly in your wrists, hands, shoulders and ankles. You are wondering if others have experienced this and if it will settle down.

Hydroxychloroquine is taken by many of our members, with largely positive experiences of it, and some may come along to tell you of how they find it.

There’s a useful page on the Versus Arthritis website that talks about the treatment - I’ve linked to it below. It says that it can take up to 12 weeks for the treatment to become effective, so you’re probably not feeling the benefits just yet. . You can take painkillers, including NSAIDs ( non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) such as ibuprofen, or others on prescription, so it might be worth talking about this to your Consultant or GP:

Do have a look round the forum and post anymore questions you may have.

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options

I've been taking hydroxy for many years without problems but, as Anna says, all DMARDS can take up to 12 weeks to work. If in doubt ring your rheumatology helpline.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Bertie_brace2022
    Options

Hi there,

I have been taking it since February, my consultant says that it takes a good 6 months to start working. Can I ask - what is your condition and reason for taking it?

xxxx